Grab a cup of coffee and settle in, because this week’s BEHIND THE SCENES is amazing! And the best part? It’s a two-parter! I’m a huge fan of THE NOW Stylebook, the über-stylish blog authored by Annie and Elizabeth, where they muse on all matters entertaining, fashion and interiors. You can imagine how stoked I was when both of these ladies agreed to be featured (be sure to stop by next Wednesday to see Elizabeth’s post)! Today I’m so excited to feature Miss Annie, who has put together the most gorgeous inside look into her life. While reading, I honestly found myself smiling at her energy. She’s definitely a woman who has it all: style, smarts, and a wonderful vision for her future. Take it away, Annie!!
Hiiii Everyone! It’s Annie from THE NOW Stylebook. I am THRILLED to be visiting today on vmac+cheese, and am especially excited to be taking part in such an introspective series. I hope you enjoy reading my post as much as I enjoyed putting it together!
1. Riga, Latvia My mom was born and raised in Latvia, so I would love to go visit and learn more about my heritage. I hear it’s beautiful and a lot of fun too… in fact, my mom and dad just took a trip and said it’s filled with beer gardens and lots of people out and about on the streets. Sounds like fun to me! I would say that I’d like to go visit Lebanon, where my dad is from, but that’s not a safe place to be.
2. India Many of my professional friends and mentors are from India, and I’ve truly enjoyed learning about their culture. It seems like such a fascinating place with such a rich history, so I’d love to travel there and experience it for myself.
3. Tahiti I cannot imagine anything more relaxing than visiting Tahiti – or any remote island where you can stay in an overwater hut. For someone like me who is ALWAYS moving, this “forced relaxation” sounds like heaven!
4 & 5. Paris and the French Rivera This is actually my dream “two in one” vacation. Fly into Paris, stay for a few days, and then take a train to the French Riviera. I cannot think of anything more ideal or glamourous!
1. How Did You Get this Number? I fell in love with Sloan Crosley’s writing when I came across her first book, I Was Told There’d Be Cake. Sloan is dry, witty, sarcastic, and I can’t wait to get a hold of her newest collection of essays. You should too.
2. What Alice Forgot This is about a woman who hits her head at the gym… wakes up thinking she’s 29, deliriously happy in her marriage and newly pregnant, in fact she’s a 39-year-old mother of three in the midst of a hideous divorce. As someone who is 29 and about to be married in 4 months, maybe I’m crazy for wanting to read it, but I just want to get a perspective on how NOT to take life for granted!
3. The Happiness Project I have this book and actually just need to finish it! It’s a really cool story about a real New York wife and mother who spends a year actively studying, learning and applying how to become happier. Inspiring!
4. Jane Eyre It’s been over 10 years since I’ve read many of the classics and I’d really like to start carving out time to read them all again. If only I had them all in the gorgeous Penguin Classics hardcover series (like last week’s Behind the Scenes featured guest, Christine does for The Great Gatsby). Now those are some gorgeous books – inside and out!
1. I’m a very happy person, but doesn’t that photo just exude the most ridiculous amount of joy? No matter what I’m doing in 5 years, I hope it’s with that level of fun, laughter, and happiness!
2. I’m admittedly a pretty type A personality and am ALWAYS doing something. While sometimes it’s a good trait, it’s recently come back to bite me. Within the next 5 years (or sooner), I’d love to have mastered the art of wasting time. Literally. I’d like to learn to sit, do nothing, relax, and just BE!
3. No, I don’t want a family of squirrels, ferrets or whatever those things are, but I felt creep-city trying to find an image of someone else’s family to put on here. Within the next 5 years, I see family playing a huge role in my life!
1. Many of you may not know this about me, but I’m SO fortunate to work for one of the Best Companies to for in the World (yes, it has literally won that award), Southwest Airlines. I’m in the Strategic Planning department, which is an extremely exciting and always challenging place to be. One of my ongoing goals is to always step up my game and improve my value to the Company.
2. Another “front of mind” goal I’m working towards is my upcoming wedding! While I can’t take credit for the majority of the planning (that goes to my parents and my wedding planner), it is still A LOT of work! I really love it though, and have thoroughly enjoyed chronicling the wedding fun in my NOW series, Wedding Wednesday.
One day I dream of having kids (AND getting to decorate a nursery, of course).
How did you come up with your blog name? There’s no magical way that Elizabeth and I came up with the name THE NOW. Honestly, it was maybe the 100th name we picked, but everything we came up with had already been taken on Blogger. Once we saw that THE NOW Stylebook was available, we grabbed it because we were SO anxious to start blogging!
Who serves as a source of inspiration for you? In terms of my inspiration, my mom was definitely my original creative inspiration source. She’s an artist and very talented in all aspects of design whether it’s painting, sewing, drawing, tablescaping, or really anything else. Like most of my blogging friends out there, Domino was another HUGE source of inspiration for me (RIP). Today I find inspiration from my incredibly creative friends (especially Elizabeth!), as well as all of the bloggers out there. It’s AMAZING what you can learn from just clicking through the blogosphere! Oh, and if I had to pull fashion inspiration from any celeb, it would be Olivia Palermo. LOVE her style.
What is your proudest achievement to date? My proudest achievement to date would probably be my ability to balance my professional career and my creative endeavors. Of course work always comes first, but I’ve thoroughly LOVED every minute that I’ve spent making time for THE NOW. As everyone who has a blog knows, developing content takes A LOT of time and effort, and most of us are not full time dedicated bloggers! I’m proud of all of us for carving out that extra hour or so in the day to make these blogs what they are!
My favorite place to rest and recharge? It’s not so much a place, but it’s time spent with my fiance Carl and my dog Henry… they’re the best!
When did you first start blogging and why do you keep doing it? Elizabeth and I started THE NOW in October of 2010, and I keep it up because it is an incredible creative outlet for me. Plus, I have made incredible friendships with other bloggers that I feel like I’ve known for years! In addition to that, I feel that Elizabeth and I have gotten even closer due to sharing THE NOW, as it has given us a great bond over something we’ve dreamed of doing for a long time.
MANY thanks to Victoria for having me on your gorgeous blog. I appreciate you letting me open up and share a little about myself with your readers!