Red Handed

Last week, I was reading a post over on Jenn’s blog Much to My Delight about twenty of her guilty pleasures, and was so amused/inspired by her list, I decided to share my own. Here they are:

1. Taking extremely long showers. I’m the worst water conserver ever. After washing my hair and soaping down, I have been known to stand in the shower for at least 5 extra minutes, doing nothing but enjoying the spray.

2. Watching the same movies over and over again. Especially chick flicks. The most ‘guilty’ part? I have willingly paid to watch movies off of pay-per-view that I’ve already seen multiple times. It’s always really embarrassing when Joe comes in and is like “You’re watching this AGAIN???” So busted.

3. I love Zatarain’s red beans and rice mix. I ate it as a kid growing up, so even though I KNOW there’s really nothing about it that is that authentic or good for you, it takes me back. We used to mix in Elgin sausage. Delicious!

4. Sleeping in way too late on a week day, then taking a cab to work.

5. Speaking of work, in one of my co-worker’s offices there’s a huge drawer filled with all types of candy. Because of this, I eat a lot of red Starbursts and peanut M&Ms on a weekly basis. That drawer is pure evil. Pure, delightful, evil.

6. Velveeta and Rotel. In Texas, this is melted together and called queso. In California, it does not exist. The few times I’ve had it in the last few years when I was back home, I immediately felt sick. But it was so worth it.

7. Gmail. I think my head would explode if I didn’t have regular access to email and gchat.

8. Weekends where I wake up, don’t change out of my pajamas, don’t put in my contacts, and frankly, don’t shower. Combine this with a movie I’ve already seen and OH MY GOD my head just exploded.

9. Standing in the kitchen by myself after I make something really good, and totally eating like 3 or 4 bites before I announce dinner is ready.

10. Caramel Delight Girl Scout cookies. Also known as Samoas. I seriously cannot buy these, because I WILL take down an entire box.

11. Ordering coffee or espresso to finish out a nice dinner on the town. It makes no logical sense, but I don’t care. It’s my perfect way to end a meal.

12. Staying up way too late, reading blogs, browsing Pinterest, and generally watching the hours go by while you do nothing but surf the internet.

12a. Watching YouTube videos.

13. Every once in a while (usually for a birthday or another special meal), I’ll go nuts at a restaurant and order something pricey like oysters or paella or lobster. It’s rare, but man, when I do it, SO GOOD.

14. Shows like Millionaire Matchmaker and Real Housewives and The Bachelor. Total trash. Total trainwrecks. I CAN’T. STOP. WATCHING.

15. Washing my sheets every week. This might not be such a guilty pleasure for some of you, but the laundry in my building costs $3 per load. So, add on the normal weekly laundering of clothes, towels, etc, and this is definitely a guilty (yet necessary) pleasure.

16. Earlier this summer I got introduced to Jane Austen sequel fiction. This one is really embarrassing. I’ve spent part of my summer reading such literary classics as Mr. Darcy’s Diary and Mr. Dary Takes a Wife. My face is turning red as I write this. So, were they any good? Hmm…they’re bad in that ‘perfect guilty pleasure’ way.

17. Canceling plans to take a pilates class last minute (which incurs a fee because of limited class space) and going out for Mexican food with Joe instead. Has happened more than once.

18. I will read the same books over and over again. Same vein as #2. They’re like old friends! When I was a kid, I had a huge collection of Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High books, and I read each of those things no less than 10 times.

19. Corollary to #18. I may or may not have read the new Sweet Valley Confidential book. (I blame this one on the same person that introduced me to the Jane Austen books. You know who you are.) It was so bad, you guys. Really, really bad. But I was pleased to know that Bruce Patman turned out okay.

20. Cheese. Any kind, any time, anywhere. It’s kind of my downfall.

Thanks, Jenn for the fun idea! What about you? Don’t leave me hanging! What’s your guiltiest of guilty pleasures?

{Image Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8}

27 responses to “Red Handed”

1. Jenn from Much to My Delight, on August 30, 2011 at 6:17 am said:

I think we might share the same brain. I just read your list eating queso and watching Millionaire Matchmaker in my pajamas and glasses. I don’t feel guilty about any of it.

1. vmacandcheese, on August 30, 2011 at 6:19 am said:

Love. Because I’m pretty sure it’s 9:15am where you are…

2. Things That Sparkle, on August 30, 2011 at 6:43 am said:

I absolutely love this idea! I think this is going to be a post for next week for sure! Thanks for sharing.

3. Lara Matos, on August 30, 2011 at 7:01 am said:

Great list – I can relate to a handful of these. Trashy TV? yep. Eating bites of my own cooking masterpieces before anyone else gets any? been there. Watching the same movie 80 times? done that! thanks for sharing :) I might have to do my own post next week.

4. Oh, It's Just Perfect!, on August 30, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

Amazing post! I share quite a few of your guilty pleasures–especially the cheese! My new fav is this goat cheese with pepper at Whole Foods. I can’t get enough!

5. Lindsay, on August 30, 2011 at 8:51 am said:

I love this. All of it! Especially #17 and 20. I can skip just about anything when someone mentions mexican food – even when it costs me $15 to skip Pilates.

6. faygie, on August 30, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

I, too, read all my Sweet Vally books a million times each. I, too, read Sweet Vally Confidential. It really was very bad! However, it wouldn’t stop me from reading another one, if another came out. I miss my Sweet Valley people! :)

7. grace - stripes & sequins, on August 30, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

so, based on the above I am thinking that we need to be besties. i already knew that you are a fellow j.crew junkie, but that picture of cheese had me drooling at my desk. i’m also totally hooked on velveta dip and samoas… YUM!

8. danielle, on August 30, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

I love this. Red starburst is my favorite ie the ONLY flavor I will eat. I suppose I can have pink but red is just the best :)

TV has to be a big one for me. I love TV. And ice pops.

9. birdie to be, on August 30, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

This is such a cute post! Seriously… I read the whole thing! I love love love peanut and pb m&ms! I can watch my favorite movies over & over too (The Break Up… one thousand times hehe). And I can be the ultimate lounger on weekends, pj’s & cuddles on the couch. YES

10. tobe | because it's awesome, on August 30, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

this is freaking awesome. so doing it! and i can relate to almost all of these! except i get down with the uncle ben’s broccoli and rice and thin mint girl scout cookies……can’t wait to do this. so fun to know these facts about you! ox

11. Naomi@DesignManifest, on August 30, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I love it peeps are REAL. Your guilty pleasures aren’t even that bad. I share your love of cheese and the Bachelor. Oh dear lord everytime I finish my DVR’s Bachelore Pad and can feel my soul die a little, but I need it. For myself I’d have to add in wine, etsy and Bailey cuddles.

12. Amanda, on August 30, 2011 at 1:29 pm said:

Adore the post! Now I need to go eat lunch yum~oh!

13. Kelly, on August 30, 2011 at 2:56 pm said:

Oh wow! I love this post. Sweet Valley High- I forgot about those books!!! GOOD memories!

14. Lonely Wife Project, on August 30, 2011 at 5:39 pm said:

LOVE! I, too, may or may not have read Sweet Valley Confidential to find out Bruce’s fate. I was also interested in Lila’s whereabouts ;)

15. Erika [small shop], on August 30, 2011 at 5:51 pm said:

GUILTY! Esp. the food ones, except Velveeta and Rotel – what is Rotel??

It’s ok, I’ve read all the Twilight books, and enjoyed them. I’ll also watch an episode of Gossip Girl any day!

16. Sweet Nothings, on August 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm said:

cereal for dinner..and not the adult kind like special k…lucky charms or fruit loops..with wine of course

17. Aubrey, on August 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm said:

I totally love this concept…and I really loved your list (c: I’m pretty partial to the part about ditching pilates to go out for Mexican food and reading teen books…I’m pretty sure I read the whole Hunger Games series in a week…I felt like a total dork, but I have to admit, I *love* it! (c: And peanut M&Ms have been my downfall more than once…

18. Sara Mueller, on August 31, 2011 at 2:21 pm said:

I am so with you on #8! I am doing this way too often lately due to a cold that won’t go away. But even when I am not sick, it is the best!

19. Julip Made, on August 31, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

Ahh Victoria… why can’t we be on the same coast. I’d be there with you on the couch watching Bachelor marathons while eating peanut M&M’s and velveeta dip (not at the same time). I love this post and may have to follow suit sometime soon! I’m definitely going to check out the Jane Austen sequel fiction.. I’ve been looking for a new guilty reading pleasure!

20. Meta Musings, on August 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm said:

just found your blog and love it! i need that espresso and those tacos stat! xx

21. designstiles, on August 31, 2011 at 11:15 pm said:

I’m sure plenty of us are guilty of no. 12. case in point, I’m commenting and it’s 11:08 pm I said I would go to be early tonight.

Mmm…. cheese.

I like ordering coffee after a fancy meal too. I mean, might as well. Take in the fancy environment for as long as you can.

And splurging on good food would be my favorite hobby if I could afford it more often. We’ve been trying to do the tasting menu option for our anniversaries. FOOD HEAVEN and I highly recommend the splurge. Uh, my mouth is watering just thinking of it. Just imagine, 8-20 courses of fresh, seasonal food. Do it.

This is a fun little series. You should spread the word and get more bloggers involved. I like reading about weird quirks and similar likings.

Goodnight!

22. rooth, on September 6, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

So you and I share a lot of guilty pleasures – esp the ones about food and skipping things to eat food and splurging on food related things. YUM

23. Praveen, on September 15, 2011 at 8:16 am said:

I couldn’t stop laughing when I read this mostly because we might share the same brain. I love this idea so much I created my top 20 guilty pleasures too :) {http://rnlmusings.blogspot.com/2011/09/guilty-pleasures.html} thanks for the inspiration and the courage!

24. LR, on September 17, 2011 at 4:02 pm said:

LOVE this post- so fun! Um, #6- OH MY GOSH- YES!! Texas girl right here and queso is definitely on my list as well as 7, 8 and 12. I totally have to do one of these posts, love it- great idea!

25. Guilty Pleasures | Lex and Learn, on September 28, 2011 at 9:00 pm said:

[...] at Toast and earlier this week I adored her “guilty pleasures” post as inspired by vmac + cheese and things that sparkle. So, here’s my attempt. [...]

26. Alexis @ Lex & Learn, on September 28, 2011 at 9:04 pm said:

I identify with so many of these, but #11 and #14 jumped out right away. I don’t know why an espresso at 10pm is a good idea, nor is Millionaire Matchmaker doing anything to broaden my horizons. But these simple “guilty” pleasures make life a hell of a lot more fun and interesting, right?!

Thanks for the inspiration ~ just posted my guilty pleasures blog post: http://www.lexandlearn.com/2011/09/28/guilty-pleasures/