Last week, I was reading a post over on Jenn’s blog Much to My Delight about twenty of her guilty pleasures, and was so amused/inspired by her list, I decided to share my own. Here they are:
1. Taking extremely long showers. I’m the worst water conserver ever. After washing my hair and soaping down, I have been known to stand in the shower for at least 5 extra minutes, doing nothing but enjoying the spray.
2. Watching the same movies over and over again. Especially chick flicks. The most ‘guilty’ part? I have willingly paid to watch movies off of pay-per-view that I’ve already seen multiple times. It’s always really embarrassing when Joe comes in and is like “You’re watching this AGAIN???” So busted.
3. I love Zatarain’s red beans and rice mix. I ate it as a kid growing up, so even though I KNOW there’s really nothing about it that is that authentic or good for you, it takes me back. We used to mix in Elgin sausage. Delicious!
4. Sleeping in way too late on a week day, then taking a cab to work.
5. Speaking of work, in one of my co-worker’s offices there’s a huge drawer filled with all types of candy. Because of this, I eat a lot of red Starbursts and peanut M&Ms on a weekly basis. That drawer is pure evil. Pure, delightful, evil.
6. Velveeta and Rotel. In Texas, this is melted together and called queso. In California, it does not exist. The few times I’ve had it in the last few years when I was back home, I immediately felt sick. But it was so worth it.
7. Gmail. I think my head would explode if I didn’t have regular access to email and gchat.
8. Weekends where I wake up, don’t change out of my pajamas, don’t put in my contacts, and frankly, don’t shower. Combine this with a movie I’ve already seen and OH MY GOD my head just exploded.
9. Standing in the kitchen by myself after I make something really good, and totally eating like 3 or 4 bites before I announce dinner is ready.
10. Caramel Delight Girl Scout cookies. Also known as Samoas. I seriously cannot buy these, because I WILL take down an entire box.
11. Ordering coffee or espresso to finish out a nice dinner on the town. It makes no logical sense, but I don’t care. It’s my perfect way to end a meal.
12. Staying up way too late, reading blogs, browsing Pinterest, and generally watching the hours go by while you do nothing but surf the internet.
12a. Watching YouTube videos.
13. Every once in a while (usually for a birthday or another special meal), I’ll go nuts at a restaurant and order something pricey like oysters or paella or lobster. It’s rare, but man, when I do it, SO GOOD.
14. Shows like Millionaire Matchmaker and Real Housewives and The Bachelor. Total trash. Total trainwrecks. I CAN’T. STOP. WATCHING.
15. Washing my sheets every week. This might not be such a guilty pleasure for some of you, but the laundry in my building costs $3 per load. So, add on the normal weekly laundering of clothes, towels, etc, and this is definitely a guilty (yet necessary) pleasure.
16. Earlier this summer I got introduced to Jane Austen sequel fiction. This one is really embarrassing. I’ve spent part of my summer reading such literary classics as Mr. Darcy’s Diary and Mr. Dary Takes a Wife. My face is turning red as I write this. So, were they any good? Hmm…they’re bad in that ‘perfect guilty pleasure’ way.
17. Canceling plans to take a pilates class last minute (which incurs a fee because of limited class space) and going out for Mexican food with Joe instead. Has happened more than once.
18. I will read the same books over and over again. Same vein as #2. They’re like old friends! When I was a kid, I had a huge collection of Sweet Valley Twins and Sweet Valley High books, and I read each of those things no less than 10 times.
19. Corollary to #18. I may or may not have read the new Sweet Valley Confidential book. (I blame this one on the same person that introduced me to the Jane Austen books. You know who you are.) It was so bad, you guys. Really, really bad. But I was pleased to know that Bruce Patman turned out okay.
20. Cheese. Any kind, any time, anywhere. It’s kind of my downfall.
Thanks, Jenn for the fun idea! What about you? Don’t leave me hanging! What’s your guiltiest of guilty pleasures?