18 responses to “I don’t get it! Did they stumble into some bad lighting?”

1. Haley @ Cardigan Junkie, on September 15, 2011 at 7:49 am said:

I do not condone jorts with dressy tops and a coat, no matter what Jenna is wearing. And I’m from Texas – my jort tolerance is high!

A think a lot of those pieces will be pretty with more basic styling, but so much of it is totally shapeless and would not look good on most women.

2. Meagan, on September 15, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

I have a love hate relationship with J.Crew. I’m not normally one to shop there but I do have pieces from there that I totally love. Like a chartreuse cardigan sweater that I splurged on and have to have dry-cleaned, but i love it. I just don’t understand why EVERY blogger always has to be in love with J.Crew! But that’s just me. And I’m with you on these outfits – some are great and there are lovely colors but some are just plain awful and I know I’d look terrible in them!

3. designstiles, on September 15, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

A. I love you for reffing Clueless and B. I love you more for voicing your opinion. It’s scary hitting that publish button after making a stance that contradicts with the popular vote. I always root for the underdog. The blogging world is funny in that it sometimes seems people say they LOVE something just because it’s been seen countless times on other blogs. It gets redundant. When you choose the other route it’s probably because you put some genuine thought into how you feel. I can only respect that.

Very cool the way you did the side-by-side. Proves how key lighting is. I actually really like the ride side look of the ‘pants’ outfit. But yeah, heeeeeelllll no would I ever wear those anywhere in public.

4. Ashley, on September 15, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

Big mix of looks for spring!!

5. rooth, on September 15, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

I also like how you did the side-by-side comparison. The colours of some of the items were way different. I think the pieces separately are very wearable and the styling was overthought, although that two-piece whatever it is reminds me of something you’d find at a garage sale for 50 cents. It must be that high-fashion and no-bra are synonymous

6. Molly, on September 15, 2011 at 10:59 am said:

haha I don’t get it either – this is why J.Crack should have steered clear of the runways… I’m probably going to blogger hell by saying this but I can’t wait for fashion week to be over I can stop reading about it… No “everyday” woman can afford runway anyway!!!!
    xxoo

1. vmacandcheese, on September 15, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

Don’t worry. We can sit back and have a cocktail in blogger hell together!

7. Erika [small shop], on September 15, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

Ha ha, great post! Made me laugh all the way. I feel like they wanted to be less “catalog” and more “runway” hence the crazy combos. Like, did you see Rag and Bone? WTH?

You are totally right, the real-world catalog will not look like this, thankfully!

8. Mae, on September 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm said:

this made me laugh! I appreciate your honesty. I felt like I was going out on a limb when I said that I didnt *love* the new Missoni for Target line. So I feel ya!
    This was a miss for an otherwise always on it J.Crew

9. Charlotta, on September 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

..no no, I don’t think you are a minority here at all. I nodded in agreement to all your comments above. I love that red dress also.. I would shorten it an inch, wear it with a belt, heeled boots, and a trench. Just like my mother would have way back when.. ;)

Will be interesting seeing the catalogue when it’s out.

Warm hugs from Sweden

x Charlotta

10. tamra [walks with bella], on September 15, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

You are most definitely not in the minority, I’ve been so wrapped up in things this week I didn’t even give jcrew a look, but now that i’m seeing it I wish I hadn’t. you hit my thoughts exactly, the first looks, well played. but it just gets worse and worse as you go down. I loved the side by side comparison and it makes me think if they were even wearing the same outfits, as some of the colors are so off! this is very unsettling as most of us shop online, peruse catalogues, so is what you see, what you get? Great post.

11. grace - stripes & sequins, on September 15, 2011 at 8:30 pm said:

Ha! I love this post. Good call on the lighting… it is really weird. I am with you on a lot of these… that all floral blue/green outfit = way much.. and totally agree about the pencil skirts. Not meant to be worn with something frumpy. I don’t know what it is about the paisley skirt though, but for whatever reason, I really like it!!

12. lamb, on September 18, 2011 at 6:12 pm said:

Haha, your comments on all these looks are spot-on! I am loving that cobalt suede satchel, I am hoping that it is a bright as it is in the photo on the left! Love your blog, be sure to stop by lamb loves sometime!

xo

13. newlymeds, on September 19, 2011 at 2:47 pm said:

This is so interesting. It is amazing what lighting can do! Hope you had a wonderful time in Texas!

14. maria spencer, on September 21, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

you are so right, good eye! I honestly wasn’t won over initially either.

15. Hillary (@disco_hits), on January 18, 2012 at 10:06 am said:

i don’t mind these looks, nor do i prefer the style.com photos. i find the style.com photos to be difficult to view online, expecially when the garment is white on the white background. the ny mag show a more a more realistic way of how the clothes would drape or hand. anyway, there are some pieces i really like, but overall i agree; i’m not blown away.

16. Anonymous, on April 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm said:

Victoria-

You were right on point with your comment about the orange/navy striped jacked and Blaire Eadie. As evident in her post today, she did indeed rock it, and you totally called it.