Behind the Scenes with Savvy Home

Even though we have never met in person, today’s BTS girl is like my sister from another mister. A kindred spirit, if you will. Gabrielle, who writes the gorgeous interiors blog Savvy Home (if you’re not already following, you’re missing out on some serious decor eye candy), is a Canadian girl currently living in Australia, and is as smart, ambitious, and down to earth as she is stylish! Between you and me, I know Gab has a bright future ahead of her. I’m thrilled to be able to feature her here today. Take it away, Gabrielle!

Gabrielle, 25

Adelaide, Australia

The Amalfi Coast: I’m very much a beach and sunshine person. My mom sailed the Amalfi Coast last summer and sold me on the idea. My favorite travel destinations so far have been coastal – why not try another one?

Spain: I spent a few days in Barcelona last summer, and it was just too short! The architecture and the attention to detail in Spanish design blew my mind. I want need to spend many more days in Spain: Valencia, Madrid, Bilbao, San Sebastian and see more of Barcelona. I want to see it all.

Japan: Tokyo has fascinated me ever since I watched Lost in Translation. Most importantly, I am fascinated by Japanese design and the Japanese way of life. To top it all off, Japan has among the best snowboarding destinations. I don’t know about you, but I’m sold.

Savoie, France: Savoie is where I get my name from – it’s where my ancestry originates. Besides, it’s a fabulous ski region and wine region. I really don’t know what I could want more from life.

Argentina: I suppose one could say at this point that I have a thing for latin countries. Buenos Aires has been one of my dream destinations for as long as I can remember. They call it the Europe of South America. Since Montreal is the Europe of North America, I have a feeling BA and I will get along just fine.

Ru by Kim Thuy: I had to sneak a French book in here somewhere didn’t I? My mom placed this book on my bedside table while I was staying with her for the holidays. I actually started reading it on the weekend. Three pages in, I was laughing and crying at once. We’re off to a very good start.

The Tipping Point: How Little Things can Make a Big Difference by Malcom Gladwell: You know those books that sit on your shelf for years, and you really really want to read them, but you never actually get to it? This is one of those books. This is the year.

The Art of Living According to Joe Beef: A Cookbook of Sorts by David McMillan: Joe Beef is a French Canadian institution and one of the most acclaimed restaurants in Montreal.  I’m dying to study all their recipes, especially their famous lobster spaghetti! More than that, The Art of Living is a wonderful account of food and life in Montreal, from Charles “Joe Beef” McKiernan’s first restaurant in 1868, to today.

The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well by Deborah Needleman: I don’t even understand why this book is not on my bedside table as we speak. I’ve been hanging to read it ever since I first heard about it last fall.

A happy home, a successful business, and lots of stylish traveling – I don’t think I need more in life.

My new year resolutions are: save, focus and keep in touch. I’m planning on applying these concepts in all aspects of my life within the next twelve months. With this in mind, I’m currently working on not spending; and also focusing lots of energy on the blog – rethinking the design, the series, everything! I want to make it bigger, better and more interesting in 2012. And that’s just January goals…

Starting a business has been at the core of my dreams for at least a year. What am I saying, it’s been on my mind for years! Timing is everything, so I’m in no rush but I’m increasingly confident that I will make it happen probably sooner rather than later.

I chose Savvy Home because “savvy” is short for my last name: Savoie. And “home” because my blog is predominantly about interiors. To me, a savvy home reflects the ability to create a stylish, tasteful and beautiful home without it costing an arm and a leg – which translates my views on design quite accurately.

My friends, family members, other bloggers and successful entrepreneurs all serve as inspiration to me. I guess you could say I’m easily inspired. Every little success is inspiring to me, no matter how small. If you open your eyes, there are loads of them around!

Moving from my hometown of Montreal, Canada – all the way to little Adelaide, Australia. It has allowed me to see the world from a different perspective, meet incredible people, and gave me the inspiration to start my blog!

Going to my mom’s country house by the lake in Canada is pure bliss. There, I have nothing better to do but sleep, eat, cook, read, and watch the horizon. Even doing dishes becomes therapeutic. It’s like checking into a spa. Of course an actual spa is not too shabby either…

I started blogging in November 2010 when M and I moved into our first house. It was a way for me to document the process of creating a home and file my inspiration. Over the course of 2011, the blog has become much more to me. It’s become a great networking tool, allowed me to meet some fantastic people, and has given me the courage and skills to pursue the career of my dreams. I don’t think I could ever give it up.

Thank you for having me Victoria! This was so much fun! X

19 responses to “Behind the Scenes with Savvy Home”

1. sharon@house58blog.com, on January 11, 2012 at 5:43 am said:

This is a great post. I am a huge fan of Gabrielle and her blog.

2. Cara {An Urban Cottage}, on January 11, 2012 at 5:51 am said:

Thanks for introducing me to a new blog! I’ll have to check it out … !

~Cara

3. christin, on January 11, 2012 at 6:27 am said:

I love these posts. LOVE! It’s such a great way to learn more about bloggers you love and those you haven’t found yet. The tipping point is an amazing book, btw.

4. Amanda, on January 11, 2012 at 6:34 am said:

Yet another fun read xoxo. 7 days and counting!

5. viv, on January 11, 2012 at 6:48 am said:

So great to get to know Gabrielle!
    fashiontruffles.blogspot.com

6. The Yuppie Files, on January 11, 2012 at 7:32 am said:

Great introduction for me to Savvy Home. Can’t wait to read it!

7. Erika [small shop], on January 11, 2012 at 7:55 am said:

Oh I heart Gabrielle and am so so happy to read more about her. She is smart, kind, pretty, talented, and per usual finds the best photos ever! A lot of class, that one. Great blog, one of my faves!

8. Shannon Darrough, on January 11, 2012 at 9:36 am said:

Loved hearing about Savvy Home. And you can so do it — start that business!

9. Anonymous, on January 11, 2012 at 10:22 am said:

I loved reading this guest post :) Gabrielle is a truly beautiful and gifted person …
    Gabrielle’s mom!

10. Traci, on January 11, 2012 at 10:28 am said:

Thank you for introducting us to Gabrielle I will for sure start following her blog!

11. Jackie {York Avenue}, on January 11, 2012 at 10:42 am said:

Wonderful BTS! Savvy Home Is a great blog and I’m definitely adding it to my daily reads. Gabrielle seems fantastic and she’s so lucky to live in Australia!

12. Neda, on January 11, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

Such a beautiful post! I loved getting to know more about Gabrielle. Gorgeous photos!

13. theenchantedhome, on January 11, 2012 at 11:07 am said:

Fanastic!! Wow a move from Canada to Australia..big move indeed!! As far as realizing her dreams, no time like the present, and I wish you much luck! I will visit her blog….

14. Lotts, on January 11, 2012 at 11:10 am said:

I love these posts – such a great way to hear about other bloggers. I’ll definitely be checking out Gabrielle’s blog. x

15. Gabrielle | Savvy Home, on January 11, 2012 at 1:02 pm said:

Thank you so much for having me Victoria! And thank you everyone for all the beautiful comments! I am overwhelmed! Read them all when I woke up here in Australia and gave me a huge smile and great kickstart to my day :)

16. Grace - Stripes & Sequins, on January 11, 2012 at 1:36 pm said:

I always love this feature! Not familiar with Savvy Home, yet, so looking forward to checking it out -now! xx

17. Clare Christine, on January 11, 2012 at 2:21 pm said:

Such a wonderful feature, I have to say I love all of her wishes and hopes…if anything, I hope she can take me with her on the travels (maybe I can fit in the suitcase?!) I just happened upon your blog today and I am so happy I found it, it is absolutely darling, and a double wammy with finding Savvy Home as well. I hope you are having a wonderful week and so glad I found your site!
    Toodles,
    Twirling Clare
    twirlingclare.blogspot.com

18. Jenna at Homeslice, on January 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm said:

Great interview! I’m here from savvy home, glad to be able to check out your blog!

19. I'm Kristen, on January 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm said:

What a great interview style! I love it!