Happy Wednesday! Today I’m excited to introduce you to Nikki, the voice behind the lovely lifestyle blog Cupcakes for Breakfast. I don’t know that I’d ever asked Nikki how old she was, so when she sent me back her responses for this post, I was very surprised to learn she was only 24. She’s definitely wise beyond her years! I love checking in on her blog for delicious recipes she’s concocted, and for sage bits of advice too. Nikki’s a real sweetheart, and I know you’ll dig her blog!
1. Almafi Coast to see the colorful houses along the shore
2. Greek Islands to sail around beautiful clear blue water
3. Barcelona to shop and study architecture
4. Napa to sip wine all day long
5. Surkhet, Nepal to visit the Kopila Valley Children’s Home and School
1. A Moveable Feast – a classic, set in Paris, stories of food and glamour
2. In Defense of Food – contemporary thoughts on food and sustainability
3. Spoon Fed – a memoir about women cooking
4. The Lucky One – guilty pleasure!
1. be in love, having a blast and traveling the world with my best friend;
2. happy at work, surrounded by inspiration and continuously working on creative projects;
3. constantly entertaining and sharing meals with family and friends
1. Getting my studio apartment camera-ready. There are just a few more things I’m looking for before shooting my home tour. I can’t wait to share it!
2. Cooking my food wish list. I’ve bookmarked so many recipes that I haven’t gotten to yet. And why not? No more excuses. I’m trying to cross one thing off this list every week. It’s time to make those chocolate hazelnut macarons already!
Oh I have too many of these! But one in particular is to open a neighborhood Italian market. A one-stop, family-owned, full-of-love shop where you can get all your favorite things: prosciutto, burrata, perfect by-the-slice pizza, cannoli, sfogliatelle and tri-color cookies. (OK, these are my favorite things!) I’d spend half of my time baking, half of my time marketing the store, and every day eating and enjoying life with our customers.
My senior year of college I wrote the beginnings of a food memoir as a final project for my Journalism major, which I named Cupcakes for Breakfast. One of the stories I told was about when “cupcakeries” began opening in DC in 2008. I would wake up early on Saturday mornings and bring a half-dozen cupcakes back to my roommates before most of them even woke up. Much like how my mom used to go out and bring home bagels on weekend mornings, my friends and I had our own family tradition: eating cupcakes for breakfast. (And not the breakfast-y ones like lemon or carrot!) My blog title is a constant reminder that there is a story and meaning behind every food and meal.
So many people! But if I must name few…
My family – they surround me with love and have provided me with so many amazing food and color memories.
Martha Stewart – her attention to detail in entertaining is so enviable.
The editorial staff at House Beautiful – I interned with them one summer and I fell in love with the process of magazine styling and writing. Reading each issue is so much better because I know (and love) the personalities behind its pages. I wish I had this opportunity at all of my favorite publications and brands!
Bloggers – I am just head over heels with this community of creative and supportive writers. I love how we push each other because we all truly believe in what we’re doing.
It’s hard to define this one, but I think it has to do with independence and self-awareness. Post-college life has tested me in so many ways and I’ve been able to come out of it with a true sense of my character and purpose. I’m ready and excited for what comes next, like when I can answer this question with something more tangible.
source: all images by Nikki
I visit Nantucket Island almost every year with my family and my happy place looks a little like this: playing games in the water during low tide at Jetties Beach, late night walks to the Juice Bar for ice cream in a waffle cone, cobblestones, Madaket sunsets, seersucker, hydrangeas…
I started my blog in June of 2009, right after I graduated from college. Blogging is where I get to constantly bring together all of the things I love: writing, cooking, design, desserts, parties, style. Where else in your life do you get to experience so many great things at once?