My Weekend with Marilyn

On Sunday I watched the movie My Week with Marilyn. Have you seen this? I thought it was perfectly lovely, if not a little sad. It’s interesting; I feel like I’ve learned a lot of things about Norma Jean lately, and find that it’s hard to maintain that image of a glamorous, bombshell starlet in my head. The poor thing was so lonely, and looking for love in all the wrong places. Her death at the young age of 36 is truly a tragedy.

Watching the movie complimented this long article I’d read about her in this month’s Vanity Fair on Saturday; sometimes I think the publication timing of these things is not a coincidence! If you have a chance, definitely read this. It’s a fascinating excerpt from a memoir written by photographer Larry Schiller, who shot several exclusives with Marilyn, and who was one of a few to see her the day before she died. I love these types of articles, because it’s interesting to compare the lasting impression you have of a cultural icon with what the reality was.

PS — Michelle Williams was unbelievable as Marilyn in the movie. So, so good. You will also swoon over Eddie Redmayne. Oh, those British boys.

15 responses to “My Weekend with Marilyn”

1. Emily (TheStylist LA), on May 15, 2012 at 10:26 am said:

I’ve been wanting to see this! It’s interesting bc I read the book Blonde by Joyce Carol Oats and I felt sad to learn all of the “non-glamourous” things about Marilyn. She really did live a very lonely and tragic life. She is so fascinating still to me though.

xx
    Emily
    TheStylist LA

2. Jess, on May 15, 2012 at 10:37 am said:

I just watched this recently too! I never really new anything about her until this movie, but it was definitely a gorgeous movie, and Michelle Williams was amazing in it!

3. Kate, on May 15, 2012 at 10:39 am said:

I saw this in the theater when it first came out and LOVED it! I have to make an angry phone call to the Vanity Fair people…my copy didnt come this month!!

Kate

4. viv, on May 15, 2012 at 11:01 am said:

I want to watch this movie so badly. Maybe I’ll find some time this weekend!

5. Lisa // Elembee, Etc, on May 15, 2012 at 11:13 am said:

This has been on my to watch list for forever. And totally love Eddie Redmayne. I just watched him in a 2-part series called Birdsong on Masterpiece Classic. So, so good.

6. Marche', on May 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm said:

Agreed! Sometimes it saddens me how many young starlets want to emulate her and don’t even realize the lonely and painful life she lived.

7. Sara, on May 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm said:

I loved this movie!

8. Giovanna, on May 15, 2012 at 1:54 pm said:

I agree! My Week with Marilyn is a great film…. so glad you shared your experience with us.

9. Sara, on May 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm said:

I loved this movie so much too! I was able to see it at Lucas Film which was such a great experience. For me, the sadness of the movie made it very raw and real.

10. Liz - So Much to Smile About, on May 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm said:

I NEED to see this! Michelle looks amaaaazing.

11. Melissa, on May 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm said:

This is still on my list of movies to watch — we just rented Moneyball this weekend, so I am seriously behind!

12. Bettina, on May 15, 2012 at 7:54 pm said:

Wow, I just read the whole Vanity Fair article, so many things I didn’t know about who she was off screen. Thanks for sharing

13. franki durbin, on May 16, 2012 at 5:12 am said:

Have not seen it. It looks sad and I don’t see much need to watch a sad film when I’d rather have a good laugh. She always seemed a bit tragic to me, likely because I see a sadness in her eyes. I’m so glad to hear the movie is good. I’ll see it at some point. And I’m off to read that article!

14. The Yuppie Files, on May 16, 2012 at 6:28 am said:

I’ve been dying to see this! Putting it on my Netflix queue right now.

15. Manda, on May 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm said:

Just got this movie from the Library! Excited to watch it in the next few days. :)
    Eat Cake