About Those Candelabras…

Remember like a million years ago (i.e. March) when I posted about those candelabras I’d gotten for free, and should I paint them and if so what color? Well, the jury was out. About half of you told me to leave them alone and give them a good polish, and the other half told me to get my butt to the paint store. In my head, everyone was right, so I left them alone and waffled over it for weeks.

One day we were sitting in the living room and Joe goes, “I thought you were going to paint those things?”

“I WAS, but then the blog world got me thinking maybe I should leave them alone.”

He said, “Well I hate them like that. I think you should paint them.”

“Oh, REALLY?” I said, “And what color would his highness want me to paint them?”

“I dunno. White?”

“No, the blog world clearly told me that would not have enough impact.”

“Navy blue?”

“Done and done.”

If by done and done I meant, “Let’s allow at least 4 to 6 more weeks go by while I procrastinate buying the right paint color,” then yes, it was totally DONE. In reality, I finally got around to painting these babies yesterday, in a high gloss dark navy color. They look pretty fly. I am perplexed as to why I have not spray painted everything in my house yet. It’s fun.

After all the hulabaloo over these things, the best moment was showing them to Joe when he got home yesterday. While he had driven the bus in terms of color, I told him I wanted them high gloss, not matte. He’d been a little skeptical, so hearing those three precious little words — They look good! – was music to my ears. Our first collaborative DIY. Aww.

31 responses to “About Those Candelabras…”

1. Nikki Rappaport, on May 17, 2012 at 5:55 am said:

They’re stunning! How fun would it be to switch out the white candles for some hot pink or gold ones?

2. Jacquelyn, on May 17, 2012 at 6:03 am said:

I absolutely think you made the right choice! And I’m glad Joe agreed ;)

3. The Yuppie Files, on May 17, 2012 at 6:04 am said:

Love the glossy navy! It looks great! I have a basket and random candlesticks I’ve been meaning to spray paint for um, 2 years now. So don’t worry about procrastinating, haha.

4. samantha green, on May 17, 2012 at 6:25 am said:

LOVE them! they look fantastic xx

5. Cyndi, on May 17, 2012 at 6:45 am said:

The result is dramatic and even elegant. I love it!

6. Jess, on May 17, 2012 at 6:46 am said:

So pretty!! Good call on the navy blue :)

7. Liz {Sequins & Stripes}, on May 17, 2012 at 7:26 am said:

They could not be more perfect, so glad you went with navy blue!

8. Christine B., on May 17, 2012 at 7:27 am said:

They turned out great! Love the dark, dark navy.

9. Anita Boeira, on May 17, 2012 at 7:28 am said:

I love love love the color you chose.

10. Sarah, on May 17, 2012 at 7:52 am said:

Beautiful! Love the color. Navy is so classic!

11. Marionberry Style, on May 17, 2012 at 8:15 am said:

Ha! I was actually wondering the other day if you ever did anything to those…so I was happy to see this update. They look AWESOME. Joe nailed it with the color and high gloss was a good call on your part. Well done future married couple! :)
    XO – Marion

12. TheNOW, on May 17, 2012 at 8:19 am said:

omg they look amazing!!! I LOOOOVE the color and the finish! way to go! xoxo

13. Lisa // Elembee, Etc, on May 17, 2012 at 8:26 am said:

Awesome! Now I want to go spray paint some stuff. Too bad all my stuff is packed in boxes!

14. azrakun, on May 17, 2012 at 8:58 am said:

I got here from Oh-So-Delish… Really nice blog & I am always happy to encounter a blogger from San Francisco…

15. Neda, on May 17, 2012 at 9:42 am said:

They look gorgeous! Great choice for the color! What kind of spray did you use, if I may ask? :)

16. designstiles, on May 17, 2012 at 9:46 am said:

Spray painting is about as far as I go with my DIY. Just point and shoot. I’m digging the navy.

17. Natalie, on May 17, 2012 at 9:50 am said:

They look so good! Like something right out of a home goods store. You guys make a good team…navy + high gloss = perfection! :)

18. Kate, on May 17, 2012 at 10:02 am said:

Love it! I’m all about navy.

19. Lauren, on May 17, 2012 at 10:34 am said:

Wow, I wouldn’t have been able to picture it, but that looks really great! Nice work!

20. Lonely Wife Project, on May 17, 2012 at 10:55 am said:

Perfect choice! I love that Joe gives you his opinion on stuff. I switched out our nightstand lamp shades with black ones a month ago and I swear my husband just noticed last night.

21. Erin | Holtwood Hipster, on May 17, 2012 at 11:00 am said:

They came out great! Spray paint is completely addicting… I must have a can in every color out in the garage.

22. AboveUrban, on May 17, 2012 at 11:14 am said:

The navy looks stunning with the white candles, but yes I agree with Nikki – find some hot pink or neon yellow ones too!

23. Lauren {Stylized Existence}, on May 17, 2012 at 11:48 am said:

Navy was the best choice! great job!

24. Grace - Stripes & Sequins, on May 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm said:

They look fantastic!

25. Jessica, on May 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm said:

cutest thing ever – first collaborative DIY… awww. I have been asking my bf for input on decorating our townhouse for a few months now… it is so funny, he won’t have an opinion about anything, and then all of a sudden he will get super stubborn about the silliest thing… BOYS!? haha
    xx
    Here&Now

26. Tiffany @ Savor Home, on May 17, 2012 at 7:48 pm said:

You and Joe are too cute! Love how the candles turned out! I must develop a relationship with spray paint…

27. erin | houseofearnest, on May 18, 2012 at 7:44 am said:

They look SOOO good! Congrats on the DIY collaboration!

My husband likes to stay out of the madness and totally acts like he has no opinion, but will then be very particular about what direction I’m going in… silly :)

28. Ashley, on May 18, 2012 at 4:32 pm said:

You are so cute!
    Love that color! I would have never thought to do high gloss navy blue, I’m more of a black and white girl! But those look FABULOUS!!!!

29. Becca, on May 20, 2012 at 4:58 pm said:

They look great! Love the color choice.

30. Purchase candelabras | Selcukdemetise, on May 22, 2012 at 3:00 am said: