Please help me welcome Melanie, from the bridal styling company Head Over Heels with Melanie. Melanie and I met when she was working as a bridal consultant at Amy Kuschel. She was there with me when I discovered my dress, and when my mom came out to get a look too! Since leaving Amy Kuschel, she’s started her own company and I couldn’t be more proud of her. This is a perfect example of having a vendor that you like enough to stay friends with — because that’s exactly what Melanie and I have done! I asked her to put together a post on honeymoon style (that would also work well for any gal heading to a tropical locale this winter). Here’s what she came up with:
* * * * *
Hello vmac+cheesers! Couldn’t be happier to be here while Victoria enjoys a few days of relaxation! With all this talk of honeymoons and vacations, I thought I’d offer you lovely readers a few of my favorite items that are essential for the perfect honeymoon wardrobe.
When packing for your honeymoon you obviously want to feel fabulous. But, you also want to make sure you are bringing the most functional pieces you can.
1. Clutch – It’s so important to bring a good clutch on any trip where you will be going out at night. When picking a bag for a vacation, make sure to not pick a big, bold color. I know, I know, I’m a sucker for a pop of color too. But you want this bag to work with everything. I love this metallic clutch from J Crew because it manages to be fun, can transition from day to night AND you can carry quite a lot in it for a small bag.
2. Fun, Versatile Jewelry – This is a tip that took me a while to learn. How often do you bring too much jewelry on a trip, only to wear the same few items? I know, me too. But the trick is to bring jewelry that all works together and can be work in many different ways. For example, these new Margaret Elizabeth druzy bangles are so versatile. You can make them the statement of the outfit by wearing 3 or 4 together or a more subtle accessory by wearing one in a neutral color. I love the idea of getting a few different color bangles that coordinate with several outfits!
3. Wrap Dress – This one is a must ladies! A great wrap dress can work for a day of shopping in Capri, a celebratory dinner and beyond. Another great feature of most wrap dresses is the fabric. These dresses fold up so small they take up virtually no room in your suitcase. Also, they don’t wrinkle which is also a total plus. If yours does happen to wrinkle a little bit, throw it on a hanger while you take a steamy shower and you should be all set! The steam releases the wrinkles quite easily.
4. Large tote – This one may seem like a given but I cannot stress it enough! A bag like this great Kate Spade one will do triple duty. Carry On, Beach Bag AND Purse !
5. Comfortable and stylish shoes – From my experience, most ladies are either heel gals or flat lovers. It’s rare to find a girl that truly has a love for both. But no matter what, it is important to find a pair that is adorable to wear that you can be in all day long. Flats are great because they fit easy in a suitcase and can be worn at the beach and out to dinner. Perfection!
6. Personal wedding item – This item is my absolute favorite! I always tell my brides to bring something wedding related. It’s a great conversation starter and way to have “Newlywed Pride”! Whether it’s a ring with a knot detail or a necklace with the new initials I am all about it!
7. Lightweight yet substantial scarf – Scarves come in handy for those cold nights (as well as snuggling with the new hubby). I also always bring a scarf on a plane as well so it can double as a light blanket.
Below is an outfit implementing the some of the above tips and tricks. The romper is a statement piece but is comfortable and will work great for during the day and at night. Add a few neutral accessories and a (completely necessary) sun hat and you are ready to go! One great tip for bringing hats in a suitcase is to stuff the inside with clothes. It helps the hat to keep it’s shape and doesn’t take up as much space. Now it’s time to get packing ladies!