Mad for Jacquard

The first jacquard piece of clothing I ever owned was a pink and cream brocade pencil skirt from J.Crew circa 2001. I LOVED that skirt and am still upset that for some bizarre reason, I gave it away in college. Top five worst decision ever.

To me, jacquard always feels so appropriate during the holidays. Something about how embellished and luxe it looks just seems like it pairs perfectly with a holiday cocktail party. And I love that these days, you can find it in so many different patterns, textures, and colors, and on a variety of garments too. Did you know that damask and brocade are both types of jacquard? I guess it makes sense, but I’d never really thought about it before (versus all the other fabrics I’m constantly pondering). Jacquard itself refers to a type of weaving on a loom that allows individual pieces of thread to be raised, resulting in the mix of patterns and textures. The name ‘Jacquard’ comes from Joseph Marie Jacquard, the 19th century inventor who created both the process and the necessary loom attachment. The more you know!

Below are a few holiday-worthy jacquard pieces I rounded up. But really, you could get away with wearing most of these any time of year. It’s really quite versatile!

1. Addie Jacquard skirt | 2. Lanna Dress |  3. Lurex Jacquard Top | 4. Jacquard Pants | 5. Champion Floral Dress | 6. Jacquard Cafe Capri | 7. Gold Jacquard Skirt | 8. Jacquard Collarless Jacket | 9. Jacquard Flame Floral Skirt

Do you have any jacquard pieces you love?

13 responses to “Mad for Jacquard”

1. Kenzie Lee, on December 11, 2012 at 10:40 am said:

I love this look, especially in metallic for the holidays!

xo, Kenzie

2. Becca | Lowlife Couture, on December 11, 2012 at 10:49 am said:

I have had my eye on the j. crew skirt and pants since I saw them. They are fabulous!

3. Randilea, on December 11, 2012 at 11:18 am said:

In love with #7 & 8!! Either would be such a fun look for a Christmas or New Years party.

4. Anna @ IHOD, on December 11, 2012 at 1:05 pm said:

Killer top! Ay! Love.
    Have a great week! x, Anna

5. ComfyCozyCouture, on December 11, 2012 at 1:41 pm said:

That floral skirt is my absolute favorite! I love all the fun colors! I am definitely mad for jacquard too!

6. Ailee, on December 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm said:

The second picture is gorgeous! I love it, along with the admittance of your top 5 regret ;)

7. whitney, on December 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm said:

love these looks! Isn’t that the worst when you gave something away and wish you had it back? I’ve had a few instances where I’ve given my friends stuff that they’ve made look SO chic that I’m jealous they now own it.

8. Bettina, on December 11, 2012 at 8:18 pm said:

Love all of these pieces. J.Crew always has the prettiest jacquard pieces. Cleaning closets is always difficult, there’s been a few items that I really regret having given away. Some I’ve given to friends and I’m almost tempted to ask if I can get them back, but I don’t because that would just be plain looney! I’ll just remember to re-think my giveaways a few times before I let them go completely.

9. bestofbklyn, on December 12, 2012 at 5:13 am said:

I love jacquard. That first skirt is gorgeous, and I love the unexpected pairing with the plaid shirt!

10. viv, on December 12, 2012 at 10:16 am said:

Those pants = obsessed.

11. Lindsey, on December 13, 2012 at 11:44 am said:

Oh yes, love jacquard – especially over the holidays. J. Crew really does it the best. I am in love with all of their jacquard capri pants!
    Lindsey
    poshandpoised.com

12. Natalie, on December 14, 2012 at 8:05 am said:

I still have that 2001 skirt (even though there were a few years in college when I couldn’t quite squeeze into it.) Lately I’ve been waring with chambray, but I’d love to try a peplum top with it. Completely agree that jacquard is shockingly versatile.

13. Melissa, on December 19, 2012 at 6:56 pm said:

I’m still kicking myself for passing up an amazing pair of jacquard pants I saw last year at Anthropologie, they would have been perfect for holiday parties! I’ll have to keep an eye on the J.Crew sales.