Recipe: Weeknight Mussels + Clams

mussels + clams | via vmac+cheese

I adore seafood. I think I could probably give up most other types of meat, but I would dearly miss eating the fruits of the sea. Specifically, any type of crustacean, bivalve, or cephalopod (that’s things like shrimp, lobster, oysters, clams, and calamari, for those of you who didn’t major in nerdery like I did). Steamed mussels and clams especially are two of my favorites, because they’re super fast to make, relatively inexpensive, and you can dress up the steaming mixture with whatever you like.

Earlier this week, I had a night on my own, so I decided to work a little late and then whip up a quick supper of steamed mussels and littleneck clams. For the broth? I chose a zippy mixture of white wine, Dijon mustard, spicy Italian sausage, and lots of garlic and shallots. So. Good. And so easy! Slice up some crusty bread, mix up a little salad, and you’ve got yourself a perfect weeknight meal for two, in well under 30 minutes. The best part is that steamed mussels and clams look super elegant, so it’s also a great dish to entertain with! No one will ever know it took you mere minutes. Here’s how to make it:

steamed mussels and clams recipe | via vmac+cheese

In this Post:

Dutch Oven

22 responses to “Recipe: Weeknight Mussels + Clams”

1. Erin | Holtwood Hipster, on January 31, 2013 at 6:25 am said:

I always get a little nervous working with shellfish of any kind. The recipe you shared makes it seem so much easier than I thought it to be. You might have just convinced me to give it a whirl! I can smell that broth from here!

2. Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~, on January 31, 2013 at 6:27 am said:

i made blacken mahi mahi last night for the first time – OFF the hook -i’ve been on a MAJOR seafood kick :o)

3. Michelle LaMarche, on January 31, 2013 at 6:38 am said:

Great recipe, definately going to try this one out, also a HUGE lover of seafood!

4. Alyssa, on January 31, 2013 at 6:55 am said:

There’s this amazing restaurant here in NYC that I consider my “hidden gem” that has the most incredible mussels and clams ap like this one–served in a bread bowl. I’ve been wanting to re-create it at home, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Definitely trying your recipe!

5. christin, on January 31, 2013 at 7:06 am said:

i would love to eat this, but then i would have to go to the ER. that would not be half as awesome as the meal.

6. Alison Dulaney, on January 31, 2013 at 7:25 am said:

Oh wow, this looks absolutely delicious! That sauce sounds heavenly!

7. Elise {Buttercream&Roses}, on January 31, 2013 at 7:57 am said:

I love seafood. My favorite is definitely calamari. I’ve tried similar dishes but never with sausage or dijon mustard. Can’t wait to try. Thanks Victoria for the recipe.

8. Julie / Bound, on January 31, 2013 at 8:35 am said:

Mussels are a must-order for me in any restaurant that puts them on the menu, but I never really thought I could tackle them at home. This looks totally do-able though! Thanks :)

9. Kory, on January 31, 2013 at 8:41 am said:

Yum! I’ve always been intimidated by seafood recipes, but this looks so easy!

10. Meghan, on January 31, 2013 at 10:26 am said:

That looks so yummy! I need to try the dish soon.

11. jin, on January 31, 2013 at 10:28 am said:

this looks divine! might have to make it this weekend! thanks for sharing ;)

12. Lo, on January 31, 2013 at 11:32 am said:

So glad you posted this. I love shellfish, but always assumed it was much more complicated to make. Definitely trying this.

13. Maddy, on January 31, 2013 at 11:41 am said:

looks delish and super easy. i am going to put this on my weeknight rotation

14. Courtney, on January 31, 2013 at 12:15 pm said:

OMG! This looks incredible. I think my boyfriend would love me a little bit more if I made it ;)

girlavantgarde.com

15. Erica | cupcakes + coffee breaks, on January 31, 2013 at 1:46 pm said:

This looks soooo yum. Genius idea (I’d never be brave enough to make mussels at home, but you made it seem doable). Also, I totally knew what cephalopods were, because i watch that Discovery Channel special on giant squids waaay more frequently than anybody should (they’re just… really neat okay!?).

Lastly, really love the layout of your recipe, looks like a cute placemat! Nice one :)

16. rox, on January 31, 2013 at 4:50 pm said:

this looks SO GOOD. I def want to try this out!

17. Elena, on January 31, 2013 at 7:55 pm said:

Mmmmm these clams look amazing!!! Being pregnant I have a big cravings for sea food but my husband is obsessed with danger of sea food during pregnancy:( This recipe is definitely on my list !!!
    Elena

18. Helena - A Diary of Lovely, on February 1, 2013 at 5:47 am said:

I’m a big mussels fan so I will definitely try this recipe next time I can find some nice ones!

19. Samantha, on February 2, 2013 at 10:22 pm said:

This looks so yummy AND easy! Thank you – will be trying this very soon!

xo, sam

20. Chris Vaillancourt, on March 19, 2013 at 9:37 pm said:

I tried out this recipe last night and it was amazing. My wife and i were dipping a Parmesan crusted baguette in the sauce and i have to say, the more the bread got in the sauce, the better the sauce became. :-) Awesome Job,
    Chris.