Haute History: Mary Janes

mary jane 1 | via vmac+cheese

manolo mary janes | via vmac+cheese

mary jane 2 | via vmac+cheese

When it comes to all things art, fashion, and culture, I’m always interested in the background and history of how things came to be. I think understanding the heritage and history of everyday objects in our culture makes appreciating them that much more enriching! So today, I thought I’d launch an occasional series focused on exploring the history of our favorite fashion pieces. First up: the classic Mary Jane shoe!

Though the sweetness of Mary Janes are often associated with their ‘Lolita’ connotation, MJs have actually been a fashion staple for centuries — and previously, were worn by men. Renaissance paintings of King Henry VIII of England, for example, clearly show him donning Mary Janes. Similarly, photographs of men and boys in Imperial China have also shown that these shoes weren’t always considered girl-like and feminine. Interesting, no?

The name ‘Mary Jane’ comes from an early 20th century comic strip that was named Buster Brown, first published in 1902. One of the comic’s characters, Mary Jane, was the sweetheart of the title character Buster. In 1904, the creator of the comic strip attended the St. Louis World’s Fair and made good on his popular comic by selling licenses to two hundred companies, so that they could use Buster Brown characters in advertising and promotion. One of those companies was the Brown Shoe Company, who began hiring actors to tour the country and play the various characters of the comic strip, to help promote the shoes. The shoe style that the Mary Jane actresses wore? You guessed it — a low shoe with a strap across the foot that buckled to one side. The promotions became so popular that this particular style of shoe became known as a Mary Jane.

solange knowles in mary janes | via vmac+cheese

In America, the shift between MJs being a unisex shoe to being mostly for girls happened in the 1930s. Traditional MJs were typically low to the ground, with one thin strap secured with a buckle or a button. The toe was round and very broad, and the shoes were traditionally made with black or patent leather. Obviously, the modern MJ has evolved significantly…and if you ask me, for the (very stylish!) better.

miu miu cat mary janes | via vmac+cheese

I personally adore modern interpretations of Mary Janes — they have one foot steeped in traditional, classic style, but with the mix of prints, fabrics, heels, and heights you can add to them, they are anything but boring! Here are a few of my recently found favorites:

{Click on any item to check it out!}
Mary Janes

Polished space age DV MJ Spotted Bohemian Seventies classic contemporary black italian summer luxe

{Image Credits: The Cut; Love Maegan; Casual Glamorous; Solange Knowles photographed by Boo George for Vogue, Feb 2013; Elle. Info on Mary Janes via Wikipedia}

28 responses to “Haute History: Mary Janes”

1. Rachel, on March 5, 2013 at 4:30 am said:

The basic black ones are my favorite- they are so classic and feminine!

2. Chelsea, on March 5, 2013 at 4:46 am said:

Mary Janes will forever remind me of Carrie Bradshaw in the Vogue closet. I do adore this style of shoe :)

3. Fernanda M. Durán, on March 5, 2013 at 5:19 am said:

I adored the Polished MJ’s.
    It’s funny to imagine if men wore this at this times.

4. Miranda {onestylishdayatatime}, on March 5, 2013 at 5:38 am said:

I have to admit, I didn’t know what a Mary Jane was until I saw the episode of Sex in the City when Carrie talks about the Manolo Blahnik Mary Jane being an urban legend – one of my favorite episodes!

1. Maddy, on March 5, 2013 at 11:55 am said:

Yes! This post brought me back to the same episode!

5. Lauren, on March 5, 2013 at 5:41 am said:

Oooh those spotted MJs are calling my name! They are so so cute. I also really like the Summer MJ.

6. Chloe Moon, on March 5, 2013 at 6:09 am said:

I didn’t know about Mary Jane’s either until that Sex & the City episode too! As I was reading this all I heard was Carrie. I guess I am a big Mary Jane fan because these are beatiful!!

7. Drew @ Catfish & Caviar, on March 5, 2013 at 6:14 am said:

Super interesting. I never thought about the history of the Mary Jane!

8. Laura @ Chaotic Domestic, on March 5, 2013 at 6:21 am said:

I love Mary Janes. They’re my favorite pumps for work. I think it’s partially because I think they fit my feet better since my feet are slightly different sizes; the strap helps keep them fitting properly.

9. Katrina [Parker and West], on March 5, 2013 at 6:51 am said:

I love it! I love, love, love the Memphis MJ; I’m a sucker for cobalt blue right now!

10. daisy, on March 5, 2013 at 7:13 am said:

i love the modern maryjane. its such a classic shoe!

& Pretty Things

11. erika ~TiptoeButterfly~, on March 5, 2013 at 7:27 am said:

loven’ them!

12. Lindsay, on March 5, 2013 at 7:46 am said:

I love this roundup Victoria! I love the history behind them, and the MJs you included are all absolutely gorgeous! I simply NEED to go out and buy a pair – thanks for the inspiration! xo

13. Liz, on March 5, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Such a great idea for a series, Victoria! I love how you’ve delved a little deeper instead of just sticking with rounding up favorite heels of the moment.

14. Audrey, on March 5, 2013 at 8:11 am said:

Mary Janes are my favorite! So flattered that you used my image Victoria! Adore your blog!! xx

15. Alyssa, on March 5, 2013 at 9:11 am said:

I loveddd Mary Janes when I was younger, so I’m so glad they’re back (and looking chic!). I definitely need to pick up a pair.

16. Tiffany @ Savor Home, on March 5, 2013 at 9:48 am said:

This post should be published in Vogue or something. So good!

17. elle, on March 5, 2013 at 9:49 am said:

I haven’t worn MJs since I was little but I really love the more modern take on the style! As a memphis gal I love the blue pair but would wear the “luxe glam” ones all the time!!

18. FripperyVintage, on March 5, 2013 at 10:25 am said:

Great post, lots of fun. Love all the shoes.

19. TheNOW, on March 5, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Oh yay!! I loved learning about MJ’s!! I mean those Dior’s are insane. I just pictured a man wearing mary janes and got a little creeped out! haha! xo

20. Nina, on March 5, 2013 at 11:31 am said:

So interesting! Those spotted MJs are great – so many options.

xx Nina

21. Kayla, on March 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm said:

Who doesn’t love a good mary jane? Thanks for sharing that historical info! I love all your picks! : )

Kayla

22. Krisitna, on March 5, 2013 at 1:27 pm said:

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever owned a pair of Mary Janes, but I do think they’re very cute. Maybe I should get a pair ;)

Kristina

Kristina does the Internets

23. Meghan, on March 5, 2013 at 7:19 pm said:

Very interesting post , learned something new today .

xo Meg<3

Meghan Silva’s Blog

24. Steph Waung, on March 6, 2013 at 5:38 am said:

hey victoria! i’ve been loving your blog and all the blogging advice you’ve been offering. i was wondering if you’ve always been a Mac or if you changed over while blogging? i love all the things you’ve done on photoshop and was wondering what makes a Mac better than a PC in this regard? i’m asking other bloggers on my blog today but i’d love to hear what you have to say in any way =) thanks!

25. Nnenna, on March 6, 2013 at 11:16 am said:

Love this post- so interesting to learn the history behind the Mary Jane. I love that there are so many different styles/colors now, but I have to say that the basic black is my favorite of the ones above!

26. Angelica Golden, on March 6, 2013 at 11:39 pm said:

Swooning over the Spotted and the Memphis MJs.
    –Angelica

27. […] Mary Jane – to Brown Shoe Company. The company ran a slew of ads featuring the characters with ankle-strap shoes, which they wore in the comic strip. It called these shoes, fittingly, Mary […]