Holiday Cheer

Welp, kiddos, this is it for me. I’ve decided to take a long overdue break from the blog and enjoy the holiday next week. And I mean all next week. I don’t think I’ll post again until right before the new year! I’m so looking forward to snuggling up with Joe and Lucy, eating way too much yummy food (we’re making Christmas fettuccine this year!), and taking snowy walks through Central Park. Although it’d be great if New York got it together and wasn’t 70 degrees this weekend (SERIOUSLY, after 11 years in California, and THAT’S the forecast?!?!). I’m sure I’ll be posting some snaps on Instagram, so be sure to follow along there!

It’s been another fantastic year here at vmac+cheese, and I’m looking forward to what 2014 brings. Hard to believe it will be my sixth year of blogging in May! Your readership (and in many cases, friendship) has meant so much to me over the last few years, and I owe so much — actually, almost everything — to this little site and the wonderful community here. Thanks for coming along for the ride!

It wouldn’t be Friday without links, of course, so here are a few things to tide you over through the holiday:

+ Beyoncé’s album. Seriously, just go download it. And then watch it (yes, watch it) over and over again. Has anyone else checked it out yet? It’s amazing. Read this review and these two interviews for more deets.

+ Something decadent and cozy for you to make: Potato Ham Chowder (yum).

+ And also: indoor s’mores. How fun is this?? I wanna try!

+ Do you guys remember that Queen of Versailles documentary that came out a while back? I finally caught an airing of it this week and just…wow. The documentary is so well done; the subjects, total trainwrecks. The phrase “delightfully tacky, yet unrefined” was never more appropriate. I saw it on CNBC (of all places) — see if you can DVR it!

+ I’m so in love with this stunning floral arrangement Natalie put together. She’s très talented!

+ If you’re traveling for the holiday next week or for new year’s, you must download this packing list. You won’t even need to check it twice, it’s so comprehensive.

+ Still wrapping up any gifts? Here are three tips on making ‘em pretty.

+ Still NEED a gift idea? Here’s a simple handmade option (you just need to make a quick trip to a craft store!). I also love this idea for a homemade manicure set.

+ Keep Champagne and sparkling wine cold with a simple frozen cranberry skewer. Festive and perfect for the season!

+ And finally, this quote is my motto going into 2014. More on that soon. So true though, right?

What are your plans for the holiday? Please share in the comments — I’d love to hear what you are up to! (And maybe what’s on your wishlist too). Happy merry everything!

25 responses to “Holiday Cheer”

1. Kayla, on December 20, 2013 at 10:42 am said:

Aww I hope you enjoy your much needed time with the hubby and Lucy! I’ll be excited to read more when you come back! : )

Kayla

2. Sharona, on December 20, 2013 at 10:55 am said:

Have a great holiday! Thanks for your providing joy in our lives with your little space on the internet! You deserve the break!

3. FripperyVintage, on December 20, 2013 at 11:45 am said:

Love your blog! Enjoy your break!

4. Clara, on December 20, 2013 at 12:58 pm said:

Have such a wonderful break! Thanks for your help and friendship in 2013! NYC is lucky to have you :)

5. Joanna, on December 20, 2013 at 1:14 pm said:

Aaaaand I just printed two copies of that packing list, one for Northern California for next week and the other for NYC over New Year’s. I am a terrible overpacker and I refuse to check bags this year! Definitely a great guide, thanks for the link!

Happy everything to you and Joe – enjoy your time off :)

1. Hitha | Hitha On The Go, on December 21, 2013 at 6:52 pm said:

This made me so happy to read! I’m so glad the lists helped you. Safe travels and happy holidays!

6. jillian, on December 20, 2013 at 2:21 pm said:

ooo i want to see that documentary!! have a great christmas! xo jillian

7. Nina, on December 20, 2013 at 3:18 pm said:

Enjoy the break. Will definitely watch that doc and Beyonce…love!

8. Andrea, on December 20, 2013 at 3:54 pm said:

Merry Christmas girl!! Enjoy your blogging break and the time with your loved ones as much as you can. :)
    xo Andrea
    Wonderful and Marvelous

9. Bethany, on December 20, 2013 at 4:29 pm said:

Lovely links! Have a great break! Will be here when you get back. :)

10. Rachelle Porsenna, on December 20, 2013 at 5:48 pm said:

Yessss Beyoncé’s album is amazing. Enjoy your break and thanks for having such an inspiring blog.

11. franki durbin, on December 21, 2013 at 8:00 am said:

Agreed on Beyonce’s album. Just mentioned same thing. Slammin!

12. Laura (bright and beautiful), on December 21, 2013 at 10:38 am said:

Wishing you a wonderful holiday! Your blog remains truly one of my favorites. Enjoy your break! xo

13. Jamie Levine, on December 21, 2013 at 12:55 pm said:

Enjoy the break! You’re always such a fun read…Happy Holidays.

14. Jessica Z, on December 22, 2013 at 7:34 pm said:

Yum, Christmas fettuccine sounds amazing! That quote really makes me want to reevaluate moving into 2014. Enjoy the holiday!

15. Kirby Todd, on December 23, 2013 at 12:07 am said:

This year will be my first east coast Christmas so I just bookmarked that packing list! Hoping the temps drop so I can see some snow when I’m in NYC!

Enjoy your time off. Merry everything!

xx,
    Kirby

16. Alexa, on December 23, 2013 at 2:10 pm said:

Best wishes for the holidays Victoria! :)

17. Designs By Katy, on December 23, 2013 at 4:39 pm said:

Oh man, The Queen of Versailles was fascinatingly depressing. I caught it on a plane and was shocked. Did you hear they resumed construction?

Have a lovely break!

18. Maiah, on December 24, 2013 at 12:16 am said:

I just spent an obscene amount of time perusing those links. Thank goodness for free time during the holidays to make that sentence completely acceptable :)

Enjoy your break!
    xo

19. Keren // The Walkup, on December 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm said:

Queen of Versailles was an unintentional tragicomedy! Really brilliant.

20. Sam, on December 26, 2013 at 3:07 pm said:

Enjoy your break!! xx

21. Gabrielle | Savvy Home, on December 27, 2013 at 6:30 pm said:

Merry Christmas and happy new year Victoria! Oh, your pop culture is totally on point: I LOVE Beyonce’s new album and Queen of Versailles was, as you put it, the picture perfect definition of “delightfully tacky”. Hope you’re enjoying your time off! xoxo

22. Nuha, on December 29, 2013 at 6:26 pm said:

Your blog is always a source of inspiration for me. I’m excited to see what 2014 will bring you. Happy holidays. xo