Would You, Could You: Iridescent Clothes

milly iridiscent sweater and skirt

3.1 phillip lim spring 2014

lanvin iridiscent spring 2014

I legit think that I had a matching short and t-shirt set made of iridescent fabric when I was around 7 or 8 years old. The colors? Rainbow, naturally. And you can’t honestly tell me you didn’t have a mood ring at some point as a kid, right?!. I’ve always associated iridescent style with the high times of the 90s (maybe literally high, in some cases), or something that would be necessary should one be attending a futuristic/space themed party (which is multiple times a year, obviously!). But maybe not — I’ve seen a lot of iridescent looks lately, and I can’t lie, at first I was totally repelled by it. But then, I found myself thinking, “Okay, these shorts are kinda cute, so maaaaybe.” And then I come across things like this and say to myself, “Please make it stop.”

So the jury’s still out and I wanna know — would you indulge in the iridescence trend? Or would you prefer it to stay firmly back in the 90s…and/or way, way far in the future?

iridescent clothes

ROW 1: Milly pencil skirt | Bebe Iridescent Jumpsuit | Alice+Olivia Iridescent Shorts
ROW 2: Nasty Gal Iridescent Sequin Dress | Cynthia Rowley Iridescent Dress | Milly Sweater

A FEW IRIDESCENT THINGS I COULD PROBABLY LIVE WITH

Image Credits: Milly Fall RTW 2013; 3.1 Phillip Lim Spring RTW 2014; Lanvin Spring RTW 2014; all images via The Cut

20 responses to “Would You, Could You: Iridescent Clothes”

1. Noor, on January 20, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

YES, I love it.

2. Abby, on January 20, 2014 at 8:42 am said:

Oh my gosh I love the Milly pieces!

3. Drew Elizabeth, on January 20, 2014 at 8:45 am said:

A tad of iridescent doesn’t scare me but I could never pull off those looks!

4. Christina Storm, on January 20, 2014 at 8:47 am said:

Great inspiration! Love the iridescent dresses!

The Style Storm
    <3, Christina

5. Kayla, on January 20, 2014 at 10:01 am said:

YES! I love these – SO cute!

Kayla

6. Holly, on January 20, 2014 at 10:50 am said:

Those Alice + Olivia shorts that you included are super cute & I would definitely wear those. As for all the others… They look good on the models – but I don’t think that I could ever pull it off in real life!

7. alexa, on January 20, 2014 at 12:30 pm said:

I could never. Haha. They look really pretty on the models though.

8. Toyosi, on January 20, 2014 at 12:50 pm said:

it’s definitely hit or miss. That green skirt is to die for, and i could totally envision myself in that sweatshirt.

9. Elizabeth// The Now, on January 20, 2014 at 1:22 pm said:

I’d definitely wear that Milly skirt!!! SO CUTE!! I also wouldn’t mind a pair of iridescent pumps!! xo

10. Court, on January 20, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

It seems like everybody is in love with the iridescent colors, but I have to be honest, I can’t look at them without thinking of the children’s book about the rainbow fish! The rainbow fish isn’t someone I look up to as far as fashion goes ;)

11. Kirby Todd, on January 20, 2014 at 1:38 pm said:

Only in small doses, like the shorts or pleated skirt.

12. Alli {Enchantette}, on January 20, 2014 at 1:48 pm said:

While they look great on many of the models, I don’t think I could pull them off!

13. Brandyn | Southern Distinctions, on January 20, 2014 at 3:34 pm said:

I could definitely do the Milly skirt, but this trend is a slippery slope. If not done well it could be a fashion disaster.

14. Bethany, on January 20, 2014 at 5:17 pm said:

I could get on board with a bit of iridescence.. like the A+O shorts. Full-on outfits, though… don’t think so.

15. Grace - Stripes & Sequins, on January 20, 2014 at 6:19 pm said:

I love this trend, but it is tough to pull off, and there weren’t really anyreally loved Blair’s mermaid pencil skirt (I think it was Milly? Can’t remember.) And she rocked it. So well. I briefly contemplated it for a second before realizing I was crazy. So then I thought about a pair of iridescent mermaid-y pumps, but for $400, I knew I wouldn’t get my money’s worth. So then, I ended up buying Chanel Azure nail polish… http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chanel-le-vernis-nail-colour/2826973

which satisfied my fix. Except then I got sick of having it on my nails after three days.. it’s just too out there for everyday!

So there you have it. An essay on my thoughts about the iridescent trend.

16. Kodi, on January 21, 2014 at 11:22 am said:

I can see the Milly sweatshirt and the Alice + Olivia shorts working in my wardrobe, but yeah, a lot of the looks are too much for me.

17. Tori, on January 21, 2014 at 11:54 am said:

I LOVE this trend, and love looking at it in pictures, but I’m not sure I’d actually buy any of it. I’m a stickler for fabric quality, and I feel like a lot of these would be stiff or itchy or just really fake feeling. Maybe a little clutch or a shoe would be better than a whole dress.

18. Meaghan McAvoy, on January 21, 2014 at 2:32 pm said:

I think this trend is really cool but I’m not so sure how much of it I could personally pull off. I love the Cynthia Rowley dress. I can totally see myself in that!