Outside My Comfort Zone

blue pea coat and neon green top

tibi sweater

royal blue pea coat and skinnies

paige denim skinnies

bauble bar necklace

colorful winter outfit

Coat: J. Crew (old, similar options on sale here and here) / Sweater: Tibi (check here too) / Necklace: BaubleBar (gifted) / Denim: Paige (old) / Heels: ShoeMint (old)

There are two things about this that are totally out of my comfort zone. For one thing, I bought a neon chartreuse (is it yellow? is it green?) top on sale at Shopbop recently. I don’t think I’ve ever owned any neon clothing in my adult life, much less something that was in the yellow family! But I saw this baby online, really liked the texture, shape, and fun zipper details, and thought I’d give it a shot. I’m glad I did — it ended up pairing really well with a blue statement necklace from Bauble Bar, and this royal blue coat that’s been a staple in my wardrobe for years. Sometimes a single piece really allows you to bring old things to life, no? Trust me when I say this is waaaay more color than I rock on a day to day basis at home, but for a dreary winter day (that was oddly warm, compared to this week of polar vortex redux), the jolt of color brightened my spirits immeasurably.

Second thing — and I’m still slightly on the fence, but only because I think it’s such a departure for me. I dyed my hair! Okay, not all of it, but last week, Sassoon invited me to come into one of their salons to check it out, and when they offered up a color treatment, I decided to bite the bullet and get some ombré highlights. I used to highlight my hair religiously in college, but honestly, the upkeep (and the expense) just got to be too much for me. So I’ve had black, black hair for years. Scary as it was, I felt like it was time to shake things up a bit, and added in some subtle color at the ends. Yes, ombré was super trendy last year, but let’s be real: take my massive amounts of hair, add naturally wavy texture, and mix in laziness when it comes to maintaining these things, and ombré was the only way I could color my hair. As it grows out? No roots. Plus, I can just keep chopping it off at the ends. Perfect.

Have you done anything to shake up your routine lately?

SHOP THIS POST

Photos by Yvonne Rock Photography. Salon services provided by Sassoon gratis.

30 responses to “Outside My Comfort Zone”

1. Rachelle, on January 23, 2014 at 7:07 am said:

Love the new hair, the ombre gives it more dimension and this is a great color for you. Also the chartreuse and cobalt blue combo is perfection.

2. Kimberly, on January 23, 2014 at 7:52 am said:

Oh I love this combination – the mix of bright colors is so unexpected & fun!

3. Lauren, on January 23, 2014 at 8:25 am said:

Hair looks so great!

4. jillian, on January 23, 2014 at 8:27 am said:

your hair looks great! love this bold look. xo jillian – cornflake dreams

5. Christina Storm, on January 23, 2014 at 8:32 am said:

Love this look!
    The Style Storm
    <3, Christina

6. Jenn from Much to My Delight, on January 23, 2014 at 8:34 am said:

You look great! I love seeing bold, bright colors in winter (and on rainy days) among the sea of black coats in NYC. I have a shirt that a color and everytime someone sees me in they go “Whoa–that’s bright” quickly followed by; “Dude, I like it.”

7. Molly {Dreams in HD}, on January 23, 2014 at 8:36 am said:

your hair looks fantastic! and i love the tibi sweater with the royal blue jacket…what a brilliant color combination.

Molly {Dreams in HD}

8. annie z. | under the oaks, on January 23, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

I love that you took a chance with both of these. Both your highlights and the neon look great on you! Makes me want to shake things up now, too!

9. Alli {Enchantette}, on January 23, 2014 at 9:26 am said:

You might be outside your comfort zone, but you look great!

10. Valerie {chronicles of him and her}, on January 23, 2014 at 9:56 am said:

Love the new ombre hair color! And there is nothing more fun that wearing bright colors in the dead of winter. You are rocking that cobalt blue :)

11. Kimberly ( Manifest Yourself), on January 23, 2014 at 9:57 am said:

Love the color combination + the hair! I had a hair change too recently… I cut it all off! It’s a long story…great for sharing over cocktails. lol. Looking forward to our date! Maybe I’ll branch out and try a new wine this time around. :)

12. Abby, on January 23, 2014 at 10:15 am said:

Love that Tibi top! My mom has it in the long sleeve dress version and we wear it all the time!

13. Gabrielle | Savvy Home, on January 23, 2014 at 10:39 am said:

Lookin good V! I love the outfit, and the hair!! NYC agrees with you :)

14. Kirby Brooks Todd, on January 23, 2014 at 11:00 am said:

Love, love, love the ombre hair! That yellow is one of my favorite colors but I actually don’t have much of it in my closet – maybe it’s time I change that!

Kirby

15. Becky, on January 23, 2014 at 11:38 am said:

That top is so fun! What a great color on you too.

16. Staci, on January 23, 2014 at 11:47 am said:

Loving the jacket!!

xx
    Staci

17. Bekah, on January 23, 2014 at 12:05 pm said:

This color combo is delightful, and the ombre gives your hair great dimension. You look great outside that comfort zone! Thank you for the “See, it’s ok to step out a bit” inspiration!

18. Designs By Katy, on January 23, 2014 at 12:52 pm said:

I love that top! You look beautiful

19. Laura (bright and beautiful), on January 23, 2014 at 1:25 pm said:

Loving the bright colors! Your hair looks fab, too!

20. MM, on January 23, 2014 at 2:09 pm said:

Hey, Cutie!!! Miss you :)

21. Archana | my SoCal'd life, on January 23, 2014 at 2:18 pm said:

I love the ombre look on you! I have black hair, too, and have never, ever done color. The most dramatic thing I did was get a Victoria Beckham-style graduated bob back in 2006 when that was all the rage. My hair is back to super long — it took forever to grow out — but I’m toying with the idea of neon pink tips. Crazy! But I’d love to do something out of the ordinary.

22. Court | love court xoxo, on January 23, 2014 at 3:17 pm said:

oooo! I love your new hair. I’m planning on getting an ombre coloring to my hair too sooner than later, and it’s made me feel so late to the party. But like you said, it’s the only type of coloring I feel like I can commit to right now. I hope you are having a great week and enjoying your new hair!! :)

23. Bethany, on January 23, 2014 at 4:33 pm said:

You look great! That color top is also outside my comfort zone, but funnily enough I just got a cardigan in the same shade and am loving how it makes me feel to wear it.

24. hayley roderick, on January 23, 2014 at 9:20 pm said:

Love the bright colors! You put them together so perfectly! xoxo

25. Hitha | Hitha On The Go, on January 23, 2014 at 9:37 pm said:

Love the highlights, love the neon blouse, love the change!

You can empathize with me the benefits of working from home – breaking for lunch and eating what’s in the fridge, staying in pajamas until absolutely necessary to change, etc. Life in Australia has forced me to shower and get ready in a timely manner and vacate my hotel room to ensure it’s cleaned. I’ve been working out of various coffeeshops around the city, opting for a new neighbhorhood most days so I can explore the area during my work breaks. It’s been incredibly inspiring AND productive, and something I’m going to aim to keep up at least weekly once I return back to NYC.

26. Friday Favorites: Brights | La Petite Pear, on January 24, 2014 at 8:01 am said:

[…] Inspo via Walking in Memphis High Heels, Kendi Everyday, corals + cognacs, VMAC & cheese […]

27. Kellie The Shoe Diva, on January 24, 2014 at 1:56 pm said:

I think you rocked this look. You may have been out of your comfort zone but you can’t tell from my seat :-) Love the blue jacket and the jolt of color really is perfect.

28. Ailee, on January 27, 2014 at 6:44 pm said:

I love everything about this post! Your hair, your outfit, AND the gorgeous garland above the doorway in the background. I have been considering doing ombre for AGES and have never bite the bullet. Maybe I will? I did the same thing in college as you, and I’m scared to damage my ever-dry hair! Love the look so much though. xo

29. Brittany, on January 30, 2014 at 4:36 pm said:

LOVE the look Victoria! I’m thinking about coloring my hair as well, same ombre color and I think you’ve convinced me!