Long Weekend Recap

robert sinskey vineyards

Wow, what a weekend! And for a minute there, it looked like it wasn’t even going to happen. But all’s well that end’s well, and we ended up having a great time in California. On Instagram, I alluded to the fact that Friday was a pretty crazy day — definitely a Valentine’s Day we won’t soon forget. Basically, despite clear skies and warmer temps on Friday morning, our flight was cancelled in the middle of the night. After hours on the phone hold with United and taking a gamble and going to JFK very early in the morning, we lucked into a flight to Phoenix and a connecting flight to SF. The flights were out of another airport (and if you want to get really technical, another state) and on another airline, but we took it! I’m so, so, so, SO glad we got to the airport when we did. The woman who was two places behind us in line was told the earliest she could get to California was Monday, maybe Tuesday. This will shock no one who lives on the east coast, but air travel be crazy when winter sucks. Definitely our first time experiencing the madness!

When we finally made it out to Newark, this is what we saw on the tarmac:

airport snow

snow

To give you a frame of reference, in the first photo the snow is probably double the height of the truck; in the second, you can see where the plow was at work on the edge, and the plow is probably a little shorter than I am. So….

layover

Our flight to SF was delayed in Phoenix, so we spent our Valentine’s dinner at this Mexican restaurant in the airport. Oddly enough, it was surprisingly good — but maybe that was just the beer and feeling glad we were on a flight at all! Once we got into SF, we hopped in a rental car, and made the trek up to Napa, rolling in to Yountville around 11 pm. Given the time change, we’d been up for almost 24 hours. #WorthIt

bouchon

Despite being totally weary, we toasted midnight with a glass of Champagne at Bouchon, aka one of my favorite places on the planet. Surprisingly, Bouchon was still pretty hopping at that hour — lots of lovers making a night of it!

palm trees

maisonry gallery

maisonry

The next day, we met up with all our friends at Ma(i)sonry, and proceeded to drink too much and laugh too loud around a fire pit. The good cheer must have held off the rain clouds though — no other issues with crappy weather!

If you’re in the Yountville area and have never been to Ma(i)sonry, I highly recommend it. It’s Joe’s and my fave spot! Ma(i)sonry is an art gallery and wine collective, and some of the nicest, most accommodating people on the planet work there. The garden is filled with sculptures and lots of places to sit with your friends; upstairs in the old stone house is a small art and furniture gallery. They had a few Alexandra Von Furstenberg acrylic pieces, and one of the best art/design book selections I’ve ever seen. It’s a must visit!

Dinner that night was at Redd Wood, another favorite in Yountville. The interior, which was designed by Erin Martin Design (I’ll talk about her more at some point!) is stunning and the food is even better. There was one dish in particular that surprised everyone, and it was so good, I’m going to try and re-create it at home and share it with all of you. Stay tuned. Photos of this part of the evening are non-existent, because, well, wine.

sinskey

goose cross

We closed out Sunday with a visit to Robert Sinskey, a long drive around the valley, and dinner at Bottega. It was 70 degrees, and not a cloud in the sky. And last night in New  York, it snowed again. The end.

So that’s a little of what I’ve been up to and where I disappeared to over the last several days. How was your Valentine’s/President’s Day weekend? Do anything fun?

19 responses to “Long Weekend Recap”

1. Hitha | Hitha On The Go, on February 18, 2014 at 10:07 am said:

We holed up at home and watched House of Cards. That’s about it. And it was AWESOME.

Pumped for game night this weekend!

2. Melissa, on February 18, 2014 at 10:17 am said:

I just took a peek at the Redd Wood menu (a guilty pleasure) and I’m hoping the dish you’re trying to recreate is the salad with Brussels sprouts, burrata, bacon, apple and mustard. Yum!

3. Jessica Zimlich, on February 18, 2014 at 10:18 am said:

My weekend just doesn’t compare! However, it was still really enjoyable. You can’t go wrong with a bake at home pizza and a Redbox. It’s finally starting to warm up here in Missouri and I’m looking forward to spending some time outdoors this week. Have a great one!

4. Mia Cakebread, on February 18, 2014 at 11:29 am said:

Bottega is my absolute favorite! Glad you were able to make it out there to enjoy my old stomping grounds!

5. Kimberly (Manifest Yourself), on February 18, 2014 at 11:38 am said:

Glad you made it out there! My Godmother proposed that we schedule a trip to Napa in the Fall, so I may be asking for suggestions!

Vday was low key… a concert a BB Kings. :)

6. Britni, on February 18, 2014 at 11:39 am said:

Oh my god, yes. Bouchon! We went there for NYE and I am still thinking about our meal. So, so good! I’ll have to check out Ma(i)sonry next time we’re in the area!

7. Jen, on February 18, 2014 at 11:50 am said:

So glad you were able to make it to California! My family lives in the East Bay area and I absolutely love going home to visit.

xx,
    Jen

8. Chirieac Bogdan, on February 18, 2014 at 1:49 pm said:

Extraordinary places!

9. Blair @ The Perennial Style, on February 18, 2014 at 2:16 pm said:

I’m bookmarking this for my trip to Napa! Looked like a wonderful vacation! Thanks for sharing. xx

10. Nina, on February 18, 2014 at 3:08 pm said:

talk about a whirlwind…i love the photos by the fire pit…who doesn’t love a good firepit?

11. Laura, on February 18, 2014 at 4:11 pm said:

I am planning my anniversary for my boyfriend and I this year. If I may ask, where did you stay? I’m looking at places in the Sonoma/Napa/Yountville area.

Thanks! Love your blog :)

12. Reema, on February 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm said:

Gosh, I have wanted to do a trip to Napa with my bf for so long! This looks so great. I’m so jealous that you got to escape the cold for a bit!

13. Erica, on February 18, 2014 at 9:44 pm said:

You spent some time in my home airport of a Phoenix! Glad you were able to put a happy spin on your delay. The Phoenix airport dining options have actually gotten pretty good over the past few years. It now has some of my favorite restaurants in all of the valley. They’ve done a great job of improving the dining options! Sounds like a great trip and escape from the winter weather!

14. Sonya, on February 19, 2014 at 9:22 am said:

Yay for you getting out of town! I just got back to Chicago from LA last night at 11 pm and as the cab rolled through my neighborhood I wondered when the massive piles of snow would be melting. #tiredofwinter

15. Deirdre, on February 19, 2014 at 9:52 am said:

Girl! I just discovered your blog through my friend Jessi – http://www.modernwonderland.com. I think we are blog soul sisters haha. It’s incredible! Look forward to reading.

16. Julia, on February 24, 2014 at 5:25 pm said:

Happy to see that we could rescue your trip; that’s the best part of my job, making people’s travel dreams come true. And that is a great photo of our metal on the snowy runway, thank you for the photo!