At Home with Hunters Alley

mid century brass candlesticks from hunters alley

mid century modern brass bowl - from hunters alley

greek key tea cup and bowl from hunters alley

Remember a few weeks ago when I told you about Hunters Alley? As promised, I wanted to follow up and share how I’ve styled a few found treasures in my own apartment. Hunters Alley was kind enough to connect me to a number of fantastic shop owners, all who were stocking lots of brass gorgeousness, and each was generous enough to send a few goodies my way. Here’s where each item found a home:

vmac+cheese living room

brass candlesticks from hunters alley

I have been hemming and hawing over what to put on our marble mantle for a while. I knew it needed something with some height, so that the scale would work with the height of the mirror I gold leafed, but I was debating between ceramic or sculpture art pieces, or just using some candelabras. I found this set of brass candlesticks from the HEIRLOOM shop and knew they would be a perfect mix — with candles, they have great height, but they’re also structural and interesting. I opted for dark gray candles to make the whole look a little more modern and moody, versus the expected white tapers. Both Joe and I have ended up loving how this changed the look of our mantle. The sharp points of the tapers lends a bit of a harder, more masculine edge to the room, which is overall pretty soft and neutral. Win!

brass bowl from hunters alley

I also discovered this unbelievably beautiful brass bowl from the shop MiNTY, and knew I had to make a space for it in my life. It’s been living on the coffee table in the living room, and I love the element of shine and sass it lends to the room. This particular room is at the front of our apartment, and gets wonderful morning and afternoon light — very warm and bright. The bowl looks lovely in it, but at the same time, I was drawn to this piece since it’s very versatile and something we could move around to decorate other furnishings for years to come. Double win! PS, keep an eye on this shop…their finds have been so good that they sold out of everything they listed!

tea cup from hunters alley

greek key tea cup from Hunters Alley

Speaking of versatile, I was excited to get these vintage tea cups from the Expo Facto shop. Yes, these are tea cups! Aren’t they interesting? They’re from the Czech Republic (actually, the bottoms say “Czechoslovakia”, which I think is kind of cool), and I love them as little catch-alls. With a set of 4, I can use them to corral things like matches and jewelry, but they’re also the perfect thing to set out when you’re entertaining (to hold shards of cheese, or condiments). And of course, they’re fun to drink actual tea out of. Triple win!

Our main living room has really come together well; we are still waiting on one last storage piece to arrive next month (oh what a saga that has been) and once we get that put in place, we can finally start putting up art (the walls still feel so bare!). But finding all these smaller decor pieces has really made the room start to come together and feel more ‘done’. Needless to say, I’m kind of obsessed with all my finds.

Since writing about Hunters Alley before, did you guys discover any treasures that you loved? It really has become a go-to site when I need my flea marketing/antiquing fix!

Images by Victoria McGinley for vmac+cheese. This post is sponsored by Hunters Alley and the items mentioned provided to me gratis, but all opinions are absolutely my own.

22 responses to “At Home with Hunters Alley”

1. Jenn from Much to My Delight, on February 27, 2014 at 7:02 am said:

Someone has beautiful taste. Oh yeah–it’s you. Seriously, this is one beautiful and tastefully done room with some very choice finds. Excellent job, Victoria!

2. Monica {Cake & Lilies}, on February 27, 2014 at 8:01 am said:

What a beautiful home! I love how you stuck with brass…so classic. Love it all and can’t wait to cave and get something from one of the beautiful collections on Hunters Alley!

3. Jessica Zimlich, on February 27, 2014 at 8:48 am said:

I love your sitting room area, the dalmation print (if that’s what it is?) pillow is great with the chair. The tea cups are too cute! I’m slowly but surely decorating my place, but I’ve found I have trouble committing to one style.

4. Tiffany @ Savor Home, on February 27, 2014 at 9:09 am said:

So lovely and warm! I love the benches in front of the fireplace…

5. Sarah, on February 27, 2014 at 10:31 am said:

Your photography is so lovely! I still can’t get over that mirror, but all the brass accents are beautiful.

6. Giulia, on February 27, 2014 at 10:38 am said:

Lovely. I really love the candlesticks – they are perfect. I have similar ‘cups’ as you have – but mine are for soup. In my set, I have tea cups, coffee cups and these shapes were were meant for soup. Mine are navy and gold.

7. jillian, on February 27, 2014 at 10:58 am said:

your place is so pretty! love that gold bowl. xo jillian – cornflake dreams

8. dana, on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 am said:

awesome. that coffee table is gorg – loving the decor!

9. Grace - Stripes & Sequins, on February 27, 2014 at 11:12 am said:

gorgeous. love it all!

10. Sarah @ 702 Park Project, on February 27, 2014 at 12:25 pm said:

I’m loving Hunters Alley! I just shipped my first item today, and I’m having so much fun browsing everyone else’s items. I can’t get enough of all the brass!! :)

11. mariko, on February 27, 2014 at 12:34 pm said:

Love your blog! Where is your coffee table from?

12. Kimberly (Manifest Yourself), on February 27, 2014 at 12:42 pm said:

I would never even think to incorporate brass into my home but I love the way you did! I may have to convert my husband from stainless steel to brass now. :)

13. A, on February 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm said:

Where are your rug and coffee table from? Thanks!

14. Heath - Southland Avenue, on February 27, 2014 at 3:36 pm said:

Love that bowl! I’ve been keeping my eye out for something similar to hold fruit in my kitchen.

15. Sara Combs, on February 27, 2014 at 8:04 pm said:

Looking gorgeous V!

16. Chelsea, on February 27, 2014 at 9:20 pm said:

Seriously so gorgeous!

17. Deirdre, on February 27, 2014 at 10:07 pm said:

The gold/brass pieces are perfect. I love accenting a living space with unique pieces. Thanks for introducing me to Hunters Alley!

18. internet inspiration |, on February 28, 2014 at 12:23 pm said:

[…] this introduction to hunters alley courtesy of victoria. a little brass touch here and there adds so much to any […]

19. Weekend Reading | Stripes & Sequins, on March 1, 2014 at 6:01 am said:

[…] Loved this pretty little peek into Victoria’s home. […]

20. Emily, on March 2, 2014 at 10:01 pm said:

Great picks! I’ve been perusing Hunters Alley and have seem some great items.
    Also, it was great to have another peek at your place- it’s coming together so well. I’m just dying for you to do a full reveal somewhere, and hopefully soon!