DIY: The Business Card Scrapbook

diy business card scrapbook idea

business card scrapbook idea

I think I’ve mentioned it briefly before (like, a while ago), but I’ve had this little “art” project going for several years now. It’s always a great topic of conversation with friends who visit our apartment, and after telling some girlfriends about it earlier this week, I realized I should do a proper DIY share! Let’s be honest though — while I’m filing this one under DIY, if you have a glue stick or even tape, you can do this. Most of the time it takes to complete this project is spent dining out, and I don’t know anyone who would argue with THAT kind of crafting.

Several years ago, I was looking through a big collection of business cards I had stockpiled and pulled out all the ones that were keepsakes from various restaurants. I realized I liked looking at them — after all, I’d taken each one with me for a reason! — because they reminded me of good times, memorable meals, meaningful conversations, or a certain period of my life. I left them out on my desk for a while, then wanted a better way to preserve them.

diy business card scrapbook idea - fun, easy art work!

diy scrapbook artwork idea

So I made a quick trip to a local frame store, got an inexpensive black mat board and frame, then got to work with a glue stick. That’s pretty much the extent of this DIY (anyone can do it, seriously!). What started out as a basic craft project has become a treasured item in our home, even though it’s so simple. Joe and I will visit a restaurant or place a few times and literally discuss if it makes the board. Sometimes, I’ll uncover an old business card hidden away in a book or a drawer, and will want to add it. It’s so fun to remember meals and places you hadn’t thought about in a while — what every good scrapbook should do, in my opinion. I have a card from a restaurant in Rio de Janeiro circa 2005 that re-surfaces every few years during a cleaning spree — one of these days, I’ll find it and glue it in place!

Sooner or later, this frame will fill up and I’ll start another one. I love this way of preserving our memories and happy times! Beyond keeping track of restaurants and events and special moments, this could also be a good way to display actual business card design you really love. I’ve definitely come across some cool ones over the years.

scrapbook idea for business cards

My favorite cards currently on the board? While it’s very hard to pick a favorite, the top left one is from a restaurant that no longer exists in SF. I visited the city and wine country in the early 2000s for a long weekend, and my uncle took me to this little Italian joint. That first night in SF left the deepest impression on me, and I always knew I would eventually live there. I also love the huge business card from Bottega in Napa, which we’ve dined at a few times. But this card, specifically, was picked up the night Joe and I got engaged. Finally, I have a special place in my heart for the Foreign Cinema business card, because of the brunches I used to have there with some girlfriends in SF, and the time in my life it represents. That’s a good one.

Let me know if you give this little project a try! Do you have a restaurant, place, or memory you’d want to preserve on yours?

Images by Victoria McGinley for vmac+cheese

28 responses to “DIY: The Business Card Scrapbook”

1. jillian, on March 20, 2014 at 7:48 am said:

aw what a great idea! xo jillian – cornflake dreams

2. robincharmagne, on March 20, 2014 at 7:49 am said:

I love this idea. A great way to preserve memories beyond pictures! I’m definitely trying this one!

3. Monica {Cake & Lilies}, on March 20, 2014 at 8:19 am said:

This is one of the best DIY ideas I think I’ve ever heard of…love love love! And so easy, too :)

4. Jessica Zimlich, on March 20, 2014 at 9:38 am said:

I always pick up things like this and I save them for a few months (or years) and then I find them shoved in a box and finally agree to part with them. This is such a terrific idea!

5. Abby, on March 20, 2014 at 9:53 am said:

I love this idea! Seeing the Babbo card has me missing the city and all of it’s amazing restaurants!

6. Erica, on March 20, 2014 at 10:10 am said:

That’s a great idea! I collect hotel room keys and have some special ones that I could see working for a project like yours.

7. Kayla, on March 20, 2014 at 10:14 am said:

This is such a good idea! You are so clever!

Kayla

8. Jamie Levine, on March 20, 2014 at 10:38 am said:

I’m in love with this!!! Brilliant!

9. dana, on March 20, 2014 at 11:35 am said:

so fun!! and great way to remember some fun dinners and times. love this!!

10. Ginet, on March 20, 2014 at 11:46 am said:

I love that idea! I love traveling the world and collecting business cards of restaurants and places my husband and I love would have been a great idea!

11. Katherine, on March 20, 2014 at 12:15 pm said:

Loving this post, and yay Almond!! x

12. alexa, on March 20, 2014 at 12:42 pm said:

This is seriously SUCH a cute idea Victoria. And so easy! :)

13. Archana | My SoCal'd Life, on March 20, 2014 at 2:39 pm said:

This is a brilliant idea! I can finally take those keepsake business cards out of my wallet and put them to good use.

14. Ashley, on March 20, 2014 at 5:17 pm said:

Love this!!! perfect excuse for an “artistic” upgrade in our apartment. Will be sure to tag you when it’s instagrammed ;)

15. Kaitlyn, on March 20, 2014 at 5:25 pm said:

I ADORE this idea!! So creative! I am immediately going home to see if I kept any cards from studying abroad in Paris. Great idea!!

16. […] This is a great idea for all those business cards from restaurants and museums that you end up with when you travel. Put them under glass and make a displayable scrapbook! […]

17. Evan, on March 21, 2014 at 12:42 pm said:

VMac – love, love, love this execution. I have a business card collection saved of literally every restaurant I’ve visited since 2002. It’s a beautiful, unique way to reminisce – and you’re right, quite a conversation piece. That said, my collection is simply alphabetized in a notebook, but this is a much more stunning visualization. Irene and I are going to have to give this a shot. Really good inspiration here.

18. Emily Piskulick, on March 21, 2014 at 2:32 pm said:

This is such a cute idea!! I need to do this ASAP! xo

19. Lindsey // MoreAwesomerBlog.com, on March 21, 2014 at 3:17 pm said:

This is the BEST idea! Thanks for sharing it – definitely pinning this as a spring to-do.

20. Meagan, on March 22, 2014 at 8:15 am said:

Love this idea! What a neat way to remember special memories!
    Meg

21. Jovana, on March 22, 2014 at 5:25 pm said:

Such cool idea! I’m pinning it for later! :)

22. Emily, on March 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm said:

Such a great idea!! And you’re right- an easy DIY- I appreciate those :)
    Now I’m kicking myself for not picking up business cards.

1. Victoria B, on March 27, 2014 at 9:05 am said:

Ditto! I wish I had business cards from all of my favorite restaurants where I’ve traveled! :)

Victoria – I also love the placement on your bar. What size frame did you pick up?

23. Rose, on March 24, 2014 at 9:42 am said:

I had a good friend in town all weekend and told him about this, so we picked up business cards everywhere we went—some of them were new places that we enjoyed and some were for my old favorites, so we can do this! Love the idea and thanks for sharing it :)

24. Lily, on March 25, 2014 at 10:06 am said:

What a cool idea! I’ve got to start hanging on to those things :P

xo Lily

25. Saturday Loves 12 » Chic Glamorous and Splendid Blog, on April 26, 2014 at 2:05 pm said:

[…] I love this DIY project! I unconsciously collect restaurant business cards and I can’t wait to create my very own framed card collage.   Photographed by Victoria McGinley for vmac + cheese. […]

26. […] been about a decade in the making. Inspired initially by my college roommate, and subsequently VMac and Cheese, I finally decided to put  a select segment of my business card collection on […]

27. Summer Decorating Projects | More Awesomer, on June 23, 2014 at 9:59 am said:

[…] // Business Card Scrapbook via vmac&cheese. I collect business cards from all of my favorite places – restaurants, gift shops, museums, […]